Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AshwiniBende
Frequent Visitor

Average on average aggregation

Hi All, 

I am trying to do the average of "Time Spent on Page" by Session ID. Once this is done, I need to show the overall average. Here is an example. All I need to report on my dashboard is 3.6 minutes. I am very new to PBI, any insights you could provide is greatly appreciated. Fyi, I do not need to create that second table at all, I need to work off of my original data only and need to report on overall average which is 3.6

AshwiniBende_0-1643129095541.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

Picture1.png

Result measure: =
VAR newtable =
ADDCOLUMNS (
SUMMARIZE ( Data, Data[Session ID] ),
"@avgpersession", CALCULATE ( AVERAGE ( Data[Minute duration] ) )
)
RETURN
AVERAGEX ( newtable, [@avgpersession] )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JGARROD
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, i was wondering how you would do this with a 3rd level, so ive managed to relicate as mentioned above but i need to do the following:

Level 1 figures (averaged = Level 2) > Level 2 figures (averaged = Level 3) > Level 3 averaged figures gives overall score - how would i acomplish this?

It seems by following this method i would need to nestle a VAR table within a VAR table? any help would be much appreciated. 

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

Picture1.png

Result measure: =
VAR newtable =
ADDCOLUMNS (
SUMMARIZE ( Data, Data[Session ID] ),
"@avgpersession", CALCULATE ( AVERAGE ( Data[Minute duration] ) )
)
RETURN
AVERAGEX ( newtable, [@avgpersession] )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Quick follow up on this. I am getting the below error when I used the same formula with in a report where DirectQuery is used instead of import. Is there any workaround for this?

AshwiniBende_0-1644937377000.png

Thank you so much for your quick response. It worked.

Richard_100
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello

This should work:

[AVG of AVG] =

VAR _Prep = SUMMARIZE(Table1, Table1[Session ID], "@AVG", AVERAGE(Table1[Overall Session Duration (Minutes)]))

RETURN AVERAGEX(_Prep, [@AVG])

Where Table1 is the name of your original data table.  _Prep is a variable that acts as the equivilent of your table from the right of your screenshot, providing the average for the Session ID in your visual; the AVERAGEX then averages over that

Hope that helps. 

Regards

Richard

Regards

Richard

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors