Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kylehennen

Adding Row Columns to a Table

Hello all,

I have raw sales data that shows sales (POS) and ship dates in each row. I have created a calendar table to match the 2 years worth of data I have and I have connected the calendar table to my raw data table.

I am trying to create a new table in my workspace, and my desired output is to have 3 rows of categories (Accessories, Hand tools, and Power Tools = Categorized by Business Unit), and columns based on Year.

the issue I have is when I drag the Business units and POS to the table, the ouput looks as I would expect - 1 row for each category in BUSINESS UNIT, and the total POS for each category. However, when I drag the year from my calendar table into the mix, it simply duplicates each row, and I end up with a new column titles 'YEAR' rather than 2 columns for '2018' and '2019'.

Is there a specific way to apply fields to a table to have the two individual years in my calendar table work as column headers in the new table I am trying to implement to the workspace?

any insight is greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
JustJan
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @kylehennen ,

I think you are looking for a matrix instead of a table. The table will just show the content of the column Year, whereas if you use the Year in the columns of the matrix then it will give you a column for each distinct year (in the selection). 

Put your POS in the Values part of the matrix to get POS per Year.

Jan 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors