Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

elaadani
Frequent Visitor

Add row with result of calculation

Hello to all ! I am new to the world of Power Bi. There are things that I still can't figure out if it is possible or how it could be possible.
I currently have the following problem:

I have a table that displays information,
but I need to be able to have a row or a table that shows the result between the operation revenue - Costs (for example, because I have a line that takes out the tax, among other financial calculations that are performed today in excel) , as seen in this image :

elaadani_0-1675184129059.png

Is it possible to have such a revenue - cost line?

Or is it possible to have a separate table with this information? For example, something like this:

elaadani_1-1675184366355.png

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
scee07
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

basically there is no simple solution to your problem. You must build up some data structure do this. This is all described in the “DAX Patterns” book, chapter 18 “Parent-child hierarchies”.

I will give the explanation with a simpler toy model. You will need an account hierarchy table and the actual bookings/postings for the cost and revenue items

scee07_3-1675251308116.png

You define input table the account id, the account name, the account type (expense or income), the operator (+/-) and the parent key

• Parent key: defines the summation of every child to the parent
  • Operator: defines the summation sign. Here all costs are summed up and all revenue and then the difference is taken.

If you think about it , this is always a tree if you draw all parent child relationships as graph.

Now there are a few calculated columns:

AccountPath =

PATH ( Account[AccountKey], Account[ParentKey] )

Level1 =

VAR LevelNumber = 1

VAR LevelKey =

PATHITEM ( Account[AccountPath], LevelNumber, INTEGER )

VAR LevelName =

LOOKUPVALUE ( Account[AccountName], Account[AccountKey], LevelKey )

VAR Result = LevelName

RETURN

Result

This traverses the tree to get the name of ancestor of the level n.

The other 2 Levels look the same formula-wise. This is a crucial point; you know the levels of your tree in advance and define all accordingly.

Depth =

PATHLENGTH ( Account[AccountPath] )

This just gives you the depth of the item.

The actual costs are in a booking/postings table. With the above structure you only must assign your booking to an account number.

scee07_4-1675251345681.png

Then you have to establish one to many relationship between the accounts and the postings via the AccountKey

Now you need a few measures:

Sum Amount =

SUM ( Postings[Amount] )

Total =

VAR Val =

SUMX (

SUMMARIZE ( Postings, Account[AccountType] ),

VAR SignToUse =

IF ( Account[AccountType] IN { "Expense" }, -1, +1 )

VAR Amount = [Sum Amount]

RETURN

Amount * SignToUse

)

VAR AccountShowRow = [AccountBrowseDepth] <= [AccountRowDepth]

VAR Result =

IF ( AccountShowRow, Val )

RETURN

Result

AccountRowDepth =

MAX ( Account[Depth] )

AccountBrowseDepth =

ISINSCOPE ( Account[Level1] ) + ISINSCOPE ( Account[Level2] )

+ ISINSCOPE ( Account[Level3] )

This is the part where you have to understand what you want: there is some account in the tree and all the descendants should be summed into this item (this all bookings with an account that is a descendant of this account).

scee07_5-1675251367201.png

The above is the toy model result: You  have the levels in the row of the matrix which defines the specific filter context. If you take “Income” for example, this is level 2 and all level 3 items in the tree that are children of “Income” are summed up.

The measure works as follows:

• Via SUMMARIZE every booking is identified either with expense or income. This is necessary to define the sign
  • The amount is then the sum of all bookings in the filter context which is according to the level.
  • The AccountShowRow variable makes sure that only  bookings for children are and bookings for the item itself are summed

This seems a lot of work, for what you asked. On the other hand you have to set up the account structure only once (or it least it is slowly changing).
Then your bookings must be assigned to accounts, and this is then all.

You can download the toy model: 

ToyModel.pbix

Best regards

Christian

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
scee07
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

basically there is no simple solution to your problem. You must build up some data structure do this. This is all described in the “DAX Patterns” book, chapter 18 “Parent-child hierarchies”.

I will give the explanation with a simpler toy model. You will need an account hierarchy table and the actual bookings/postings for the cost and revenue items

scee07_3-1675251308116.png

You define input table the account id, the account name, the account type (expense or income), the operator (+/-) and the parent key

• Parent key: defines the summation of every child to the parent
  • Operator: defines the summation sign. Here all costs are summed up and all revenue and then the difference is taken.

If you think about it , this is always a tree if you draw all parent child relationships as graph.

Now there are a few calculated columns:

AccountPath =

PATH ( Account[AccountKey], Account[ParentKey] )

Level1 =

VAR LevelNumber = 1

VAR LevelKey =

PATHITEM ( Account[AccountPath], LevelNumber, INTEGER )

VAR LevelName =

LOOKUPVALUE ( Account[AccountName], Account[AccountKey], LevelKey )

VAR Result = LevelName

RETURN

Result

This traverses the tree to get the name of ancestor of the level n.

The other 2 Levels look the same formula-wise. This is a crucial point; you know the levels of your tree in advance and define all accordingly.

Depth =

PATHLENGTH ( Account[AccountPath] )

This just gives you the depth of the item.

The actual costs are in a booking/postings table. With the above structure you only must assign your booking to an account number.

scee07_4-1675251345681.png

Then you have to establish one to many relationship between the accounts and the postings via the AccountKey

Now you need a few measures:

Sum Amount =

SUM ( Postings[Amount] )

Total =

VAR Val =

SUMX (

SUMMARIZE ( Postings, Account[AccountType] ),

VAR SignToUse =

IF ( Account[AccountType] IN { "Expense" }, -1, +1 )

VAR Amount = [Sum Amount]

RETURN

Amount * SignToUse

)

VAR AccountShowRow = [AccountBrowseDepth] <= [AccountRowDepth]

VAR Result =

IF ( AccountShowRow, Val )

RETURN

Result

AccountRowDepth =

MAX ( Account[Depth] )

AccountBrowseDepth =

ISINSCOPE ( Account[Level1] ) + ISINSCOPE ( Account[Level2] )

+ ISINSCOPE ( Account[Level3] )

This is the part where you have to understand what you want: there is some account in the tree and all the descendants should be summed into this item (this all bookings with an account that is a descendant of this account).

scee07_5-1675251367201.png

The above is the toy model result: You  have the levels in the row of the matrix which defines the specific filter context. If you take “Income” for example, this is level 2 and all level 3 items in the tree that are children of “Income” are summed up.

The measure works as follows:

• Via SUMMARIZE every booking is identified either with expense or income. This is necessary to define the sign
  • The amount is then the sum of all bookings in the filter context which is according to the level.
  • The AccountShowRow variable makes sure that only  bookings for children are and bookings for the item itself are summed

This seems a lot of work, for what you asked. On the other hand you have to set up the account structure only once (or it least it is slowly changing).
Then your bookings must be assigned to accounts, and this is then all.

You can download the toy model: 

ToyModel.pbix

Best regards

Christian

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors