Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ALL with ALLEXCEPT

Hi All, 

I'm getting the wrong figure with a formula using ALL and ALLEXCEPT to create a Company Average even though I think the formula is correct... Please help!! 

My table called Stock contains the measures (a fact table only) and dimensions join to it giving the Calendar and Store detail. I've got Measure 1 that is a simple sum(Value1)/sum(Value2) calculation that's presented by Region on a chart. Region "Unknown" is filtered off. The page is filtered on the last 91 days using the Calendar's Relative Date field. 

Measure 2 attempts to create a Company Average that only takes into account the filter on the Calendar table, but ignores any other, using all available data. The formula I wrote is this: 

Measure 2= CALCULATE([Measure 1],ALL('Stock'),ALL('Branch'[Regional Manager Name]),ALLEXCEPT('Calendar Date Detail','Calendar Date Detail'[Calendar Relative Date Number]))

The figure that I'm getting however is wrong and no matter what I change it's still wrong. Any suggestions? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

how about just this:

Measure 2 = 
CALCULATE(
[Measure 1],
ALLEXCEPT(
'Calendar Date Detail',
'Calendar Date Detail'[relative_date_no]
)
)

you may need to add other columns from the calendar table if the users are allowed to filter on them, or if they are displayed in the visual

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

The family of ALL* functions, when used as top level functions in CALCULATE, remove filters (they do not return tables) but if you put a whole table inside them, they'll remove filters from the EXPANDED VERSIONS of the tables, not just the tables as you thought (I know you did from your code). Hence, putting ALL( Stock ) will remove all filters from all related tables (on condition that the other tables are connected to Stock in a 1:many fashion, which I think is the case here). To know how the ALL* functions work you need to know the theory of expanded tables, by the way.

So, in order to get what you want you have to write:

calculate (
    [Measure 1], -- please give a meaningful name, Measure 1 means NOTHING
    all ( Stock ), -- remove all filters
    'Calendar Date Detail' -- restore the filters on Calendar Date Datail only
)

Best
Darek

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The family of ALL* functions, when used as top level functions in CALCULATE, remove filters (they do not return tables) but if you put a whole table inside them, they'll remove filters from the EXPANDED VERSIONS of the tables, not just the tables as you thought (I know you did from your code). Hence, putting ALL( Stock ) will remove all filters from all related tables (on condition that the other tables are connected to Stock in a 1:many fashion, which I think is the case here). To know how the ALL* functions work you need to know the theory of expanded tables, by the way.

So, in order to get what you want you have to write:

calculate (
    [Measure 1], -- please give a meaningful name, Measure 1 means NOTHING
    all ( Stock ), -- remove all filters
    'Calendar Date Detail' -- restore the filters on Calendar Date Datail only
)

Best
Darek

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Darek, 

Thank you for your explanation on the expanded table, I will read up on that more. I managed to make my formula work now with the solution suggested above. Measure 1 and 2 are only due to anonymization of business sensitive data, I would never call a measure that in real llife 🙂 

Thank you for your help! 

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

what do you want to average by? days, regions, stores, something else?

Can you add sample tables (in format that can be copied to PowerBI) from your model with anonymised data? Like this (just copy and paste into the post window).

Column1Column2
A1
B2.5

specifically 'Stock' and 'Branch' tables

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stachu, 

I call it an average but it's basically the company total for the time period specified by the date filter, so I'd like it to dynamically re-calculate if the user changes the date range for the report, but always including all values from the Stock and Branch tables regardless of the filters applied to the chart (which will be Regional Manager <> Unknown)

Sample table for Stock: 

branch_SkeycalendarIDValue 1Value 2

Sample table for Branch: 

branch_SkeyBranch Short DescriptionRegional Manager
-1WebUnknown
65SheffieldManager A
56LondonManager B
181StockportManager C
96NewcastleManager A
31MobileUnknown

Sample table for Calendar: 

calendarIDrelative_date_no
20190815-3
20190816-2
20190817-1
20190624-55
20190625-54
20190524-86
20190525-85
20190526-84

Hope this helps and thank you for your help in advance! 

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

how about just this:

Measure 2 = 
CALCULATE(
[Measure 1],
ALLEXCEPT(
'Calendar Date Detail',
)
)

you may need to add other columns from the calendar table if the users are allowed to filter on them, or if they are displayed in the visual

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your solution calculated a different "company average" per region, as  I'm assuming it was still taking into account filters on the Branch table. I amended my formula to this (excuse any formatting issues): 

Measure 2 = 
CALCULATE(
[Measure 1],
ALLEXCEPT(
'Calendar Date Detail',
),
ALLEXCEPT (
'Branch'
),
)

And now it's giving me the correct figure. I was just under the impression I'd have to specify that I want to also use ALL the lines from the Stock table as well, but it works without that. Many thanks for your help! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this give you the right answer?

Measure 2 = 
CALCULATE(
    [Measure 1], 
    ALLEXCEPT(
        Stock,
        'Calendar Date Detail',
        Branch
    )
)

Best
D.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.