Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

hsavy
Frequent Visitor

Technical feasibility and Tips -- Help about my project

Hello everyone, 

I have a project of a visualization of two schedules agreement on different task and would want to reproduce the following model in a custom visual (I can't find how to do it properly with the available visuals). 
I would like to know its technical feasibility and would welcome any advice on how should I do it as I am a newbie 🙂 

Model : 

hsavy_0-1671627222040.png

I am an engerneering student in computer science so I'm used to programming and I have few knowledges on web technologies.
I have also already took a look to Microsoft and youtube tutorials to create custom visuals. 

Thank you to anyone answering and feel free to question me back ! 
hsavy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Before you go that deep have a look at this video by @ppm1  - it uses Deneb.

Deneb Demo Build - Gantt Edition - YouTube

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
giammariam
Super User
Super User

If you could provide a sample .pbix file with sample data, I'd be happy to help.

Madison Giammaria
Proud to be a Super User 😄
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!

Hey sure, they won't let me upload any .xlsx or .pbix file so here is a data sample : 

SubsysDate 1Date 2Date 3Date 4
Task 101/01/202201/01/202302/02/202310/10/2023
Task 201/01/202201/05/202302/02/202310/12/2023
Task 305/05/202205/05/202301/01/202312/12/2023
Task 401/01/202201/01/202302/02/202310/10/2023
Task 501/01/202201/05/202302/02/202310/12/2023
Task 605/05/202205/05/202301/01/202312/12/2023
Task 703/03/202209/09/202203/03/202309/09/2023
Task 805/05/202212/12/202205/05/202312/12/2023

Let me know on how to upload one if you need me to. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If you like you can experiment with generating your own data series for these tasks, and then use a standard matrix visual to blend it all together.  Might be a bit messy as you seem to need day level granularity.

Also have a look at Deneb or Charticulator.

Thank you for answer. Indeed, I've achieve it with matrix visual but it's messy and can't be modified as much as a custom visual can. 
I've read a lot about creating a custom visuals with Typescript and react. I've found a couple of great libraries to use such as vis-timeline, a fully scalable scrolable timeline, to use to create my custom visual. 

Do you think it is possible to create something this way with PowerBI SDK ?  

Before you go that deep have a look at this video by @ppm1  - it uses Deneb.

Deneb Demo Build - Gantt Edition - YouTube

Agree, I was actually going to generate a Vega-Lite spec and throw it into deneb to see if it'd give @hsavy what they wanted

Madison Giammaria
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!

I am doing the same, always wanted to understand what x2 is about - why don't we have a friendly competition...

We'll have to slightly massage the sample data - groupwise unpivoting is fun!

Thanks to both of you guys, I didn't knew about Deneb and was a bit lost. It will definetly make the job ! 
Don't bother about giving me the spec, I will find a way throught it (if not i may ping you 🙂

@hsavy feel free to ping if you get stuck, but Deneb is definitely worth learning in my opinion. Building out custom visuals using the API is a lot of work but allows for full control, and is especially useful if you want your visual to be available to other report authors that may not want to jump into declarative coding. Deneb has drastically reduced my need to develop full-scale custom visuals.

@lbendlin, I may build it out when I have time (a bit busy today) and just send my spec to you for feedback and to compare notes/implementations. The idea of a friendly competition did sound fun though

Madison Giammaria
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors