Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ZSF0003
Helper I
Helper I

Productivity Visual from Excel in PowerBI

Hello everyone,

I'm new to PowerBI. I've completed the DIAD course and watched a few videos on youtube. I'm fluent in Tableau but am working on transitioning my reporting into PowerBI. I've never built anything like this in either program and was curious if you could help me build this in PowerBI.

ZSF0003_0-1662154672828.png

I know I can use a matrix to display employee name, day, and values similar to the first 8 columns, but that's as far as I can go.

Can I create a column in Power Query or something for the Objective column? Or should I create a reference table with employee name and objective to connect to and add the Objective column after values?

Hours absent is a column that requires the manager to manually enter data. Can this be done in PowerBI? My thought was to offer a dropdown for values 0 - 40. In Tableau, I'd use a parameter but I'm not sure how to do this in PowerBI.

Total Tasks is just the sum of daily values. Objective - Absence is the Objective minus (Hours Absent * Objective/40). The final column is the total tasks / objective - absence. Should I create a new measure or new column for these calculations?

Lastly, is it possible to format the matrix in a similar fashion? 

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can format your matrix in a lot of ways, but not all of these make sense or are user friendly.  Coming from Tableau you should be used to a more disciplined approach.

In your case you would use a matrix visual without column fields, only with row fields and individual measures for each of the columns. Are you sure you want to do that?

Oh, to be clear: this is not what I want to do. This is an attempt to appease the management that is adverse to major changes while also allowing us to automate the reporting by importing the data via SQL database. My plan is to keep at this till I eventually hit a wall because 1) it will be a learning experience and 2) it will show me my limitations. I'm expecting to have a discussion regarding reformatting the visualization into something more conducive to Power BI, but many people in the organization prefer spreadsheets to KPI gauges or objective funnels and the like.

Currently, the data is a table consisting of employees, Entity IDs (what they receive credit for), the date, and the team per employee. 

The matrix visual and cards look like this:

ZSF0003_0-1666226938720.png

Let's start with one piece at a time. For the objective column, my idea was to create a table with employee name and their corresponding objectives. I've verified the relationship works but is it possible to use that value as a column past the date but before the total that will not add to the total similar to how it exists in the initial screenshot? Also, is there a way to stretch the matrix to fit the box it is in? 

No to both.  That's not how matrix visuals are designed.  You will need to look into creating your own custom visual, with Deneb, or Charticulator for example.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors