Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

devika
Helper II
Helper II

Forest plot graph

Hi all,

I'm looking to produce the Forest plot, can anyone shed some light to achieve this?

Thanks

Devika

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hi @devika,

A forest plot, also known as a blobbogram, is a type of chart that is commonly used to display the results of a meta-analysis. It is a combination of a bar chart and a scatter plot, and it allows for the display of multiple groups of data in a single chart.

To produce a forest plot in Power BI, you will need to use a custom visual. There are several custom visuals available that can be used to create a forest plot, such as the "Forest Plot" visual by Microsoft or the "Forest Plot" visual by OKViz.

To use a custom visual, you will first need to install it in Power BI. You can do this by going to the "File" menu, selecting "Import", and then choosing the custom visual you want to use. Once the custom visual is installed, it will be available in the "Visualizations" pane.

Next, you will need to prepare your data for the forest plot. This will typically involve grouping your data into categories and calculating the summary statistics for each group, such as the mean and standard deviation. You will also need to format your data so that it matches the data structure required by the custom visual.

Once your data is prepared, you can add the custom visual to your report and configure it to display your data. This will typically involve specifying which columns of your data should be used for the categories, the summary statistics, and other settings.

After configuring the custom visual, you should be able to see the forest plot in your report. You can then use the formatting options available in Power BI to customize the appearance of the forest plot, such as changing the colors and labels.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Kind Regards,

Sahir

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sahir_Maharaj
Super User
Super User

Hi @devika,

A forest plot, also known as a blobbogram, is a type of chart that is commonly used to display the results of a meta-analysis. It is a combination of a bar chart and a scatter plot, and it allows for the display of multiple groups of data in a single chart.

To produce a forest plot in Power BI, you will need to use a custom visual. There are several custom visuals available that can be used to create a forest plot, such as the "Forest Plot" visual by Microsoft or the "Forest Plot" visual by OKViz.

To use a custom visual, you will first need to install it in Power BI. You can do this by going to the "File" menu, selecting "Import", and then choosing the custom visual you want to use. Once the custom visual is installed, it will be available in the "Visualizations" pane.

Next, you will need to prepare your data for the forest plot. This will typically involve grouping your data into categories and calculating the summary statistics for each group, such as the mean and standard deviation. You will also need to format your data so that it matches the data structure required by the custom visual.

Once your data is prepared, you can add the custom visual to your report and configure it to display your data. This will typically involve specifying which columns of your data should be used for the categories, the summary statistics, and other settings.

After configuring the custom visual, you should be able to see the forest plot in your report. You can then use the formatting options available in Power BI to customize the appearance of the forest plot, such as changing the colors and labels.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Kind Regards,

Sahir

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a "Kudos" 🙂

Kind Regards,
Sahir Maharaj
Data Scientist | Data Engineer | Data Analyst | AI Engineer
P.S. Want me to build your Power BI solution?
➤ Lets connect on LinkedIn: Join my network of 13K+ professionals
➤ Join my free newsletter: Data Driven: From 0 to 100
➤ Website: https://sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Email: sahir@sahirmaharaj.com
➤ Want me to build your Power BI solution? Lets chat about how I can assist!
➤ Join my Medium community of 30K readers! Sharing my knowledge about data science and artificial intelligence
➤ Explore my latest project (350K+ views): Wordlit.net
➤ 100+ FREE Power BI Themes: Download Now
LinkedIn Top Voice in Artificial Intelligence, Data Science and Machine Learning

@Sahir_Maharaj - Thanks for your reply, I will try this and update you

Thanks! This works for me 🙂

Does anyone know what happened to these forest plot options? I can't find them in the plug-in store anymore.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.