Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Liz-m
Regular Visitor

Filter on date range, include multiple registrations made on the same date in count

Hi 

I am trying to complete what I thought would be a super simple task, but can't find a solution that works!

I have a connected to a SharePoint List in Power BI that contains registrations, I want produce a super simple dashboard that shows number of registrations made in any given period. The user should be able to select a start and end date for a custom reporting period. The result will be displayed in either a Card or Text Box showing a calculated value.

PowerBI will easily calculate the total of number of regsitrations, however the minute I introduce a date slicer so the user can select a reporting period, the result changes and only counts registrations made on distinct dates i.e. if 4 registrations were made on the same date it only counts 1 instance towards the total. I need to display the total number of registrations, including multiple instances made on any given date.

If I put all of the solutions I have tried into this post I doubt anyone would want to take the time to read through them all.

Key fields are

'DateRegistered' Short Date (I have checked this is in the proper format, and removed time element in Power Query etc
'UID' Unique ID number for each registration (the same company may have multiple people registered)
'Cohort' Simple 4 digit reference

I am missing something simple? If anyone can help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz-m
Regular Visitor

Problem was caused by the date field in the SharePoint list which was initially built from an excel spreadsheet. Tried transforming date fields in Power Query, creating new calculated columns, measures, dax references etc but nothing would get the date field to behave correctly. 

The only solution that worked was to create new date field directly in the SharePoint list and reinput the data. Now dashboard is behaving as it should be and calculating correctly. Luckily this is a small dataset.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Liz-m
Regular Visitor

Problem was caused by the date field in the SharePoint list which was initially built from an excel spreadsheet. Tried transforming date fields in Power Query, creating new calculated columns, measures, dax references etc but nothing would get the date field to behave correctly. 

The only solution that worked was to create new date field directly in the SharePoint list and reinput the data. Now dashboard is behaving as it should be and calculating correctly. Luckily this is a small dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors