Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kpia
Helper I
Helper I

Custom Date Slicer noting working on initial load when hidden with bookmark

Hi,

I created a cusotmer date slicer with React. It works well and I implemented bookmark capability so when I hid the slicer it will save the filter and apply when it is unhidden again. 

This functionality works fine but when I load the report with the slicer hidden, it applies no filter. I can see in the consol that React componant is never initalized on report load. 

I'm a bit stumpped, any idea why this is?

4 REPLIES 4
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @kpia,

If you have hidden a visual on the page, Power BI doesn't load it until it is needed, i.e., it is lazy-loaded. The visual must be visible on the page to have any filters it sends to Power BI applied. If the visual is inactive/visible, Power BI does not acknowledge any filter from it, nor will it restore any filter to it (as it doesn't exist on the page at that moment).

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Thanks @dm-p  for your response, that was my fear. Would it possible to listen for the report load even and filter the data while the visual is hidden?

Or maybe I can "hide" my slicer in my React component behind a button and only show the slicer when the button is clicked?

Hi @kpia,

Your visual must be visible on the canvas (according to Power BI) for any active filters to apply. Power BI won't care what your visual is displaying within its iframe, so I suggest you update your visual's UI accordingly with a suitable component if you want it 'hidden' for the end user at a specific point. When the filter is 'visible,' you would restore the conventional UI for users in your app via logic.

Regards,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

@dm-p thank you for the advice. I think this approch would work but it causes some layout issue with my report.

Alternativly, would it be possible to create a second visual that displays nothing and just applies a filter on report load? I tried this approach by can seem to get the two visuals to synchronize when I load the other hidden visual. My dataview for the second visual is always filtered and can seem to find a way to remove the filter of the first visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.