Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

python's yfinance returns data from command line but i dont even get a dataset in pbi

Hi , v-binbinyu shared this with us...   https://towardsdatascience.com/best-5-free-stock-market-apis-in-2019-ad91dddec984 .

I was able to list stock ticker MSFT history from my pc's command line but i show nothing (not even a dataset) when i go thru the same steps in setting up a pbi python connector.  Can someone help?

my script was entered in pbi as follows but even after reboot i couldnt get a dataset in pbi:

import yfinance as yf
msft = yf.Ticker("MSFT")
msft.history(period="max")

itrunsfromcommandline.pngnavigator shows nothing.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

i'm not sure if the history method can ever act in this capacity and i did see pbi alternatives that use web sources instead of python for this same purpose but this seems to work...i dont think dataset is a key word.  The last 2 statements apparently add columns to what the download method already offers.  I'll be looking up/for ways to make the download method show more tickers and the symbol itself rather than the hardcoded stock name.

import yfinance as yf

dataset=yf.download('MSFT','2010-01-01','2023-06-30')

dataset["Date"]=dataset.index

dataset["Stock"]="Microsoft"

finallygotadatasetinpbi.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

the history method can do it too.  Had I coded my script like this, it would have worked too.  Notice an object (dataset2) is assigned/points at the results of the history method.

import yfinance as yf
msft = yf.Ticker("MSFT")
dataset2=msft.history(period="max")

db042190
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

i'm not sure if the history method can ever act in this capacity and i did see pbi alternatives that use web sources instead of python for this same purpose but this seems to work...i dont think dataset is a key word.  The last 2 statements apparently add columns to what the download method already offers.  I'll be looking up/for ways to make the download method show more tickers and the symbol itself rather than the hardcoded stock name.

import yfinance as yf

dataset=yf.download('MSFT','2010-01-01','2023-06-30')

dataset["Date"]=dataset.index

dataset["Stock"]="Microsoft"

finallygotadatasetinpbi.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors