Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tripbam
Regular Visitor

export data from published report

I've created several reports using the desktop version of Power BI and published to the web and shared them.  However, when I view these reports on the web, I can download the data from the tiles by clicking on the three dots in the corner.  However, users viewing the report from the shared link can't.  They did have the ability a few weeks back.  How do I allow a user to export data from selected tiles while viewing a published report?

7 REPLIES 7
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@tripbam

The option of export data is not available if using the publish to web feature. You can vote this idea here.

BTW, in the Service report page, if we pin the live page of report to dashboard, there is no option to export data of the report from the dashboard. You need to go to the report page and then export data.
However, if we pin the report to dashboard using the “Pin visual” option, we are able to export data of the report from the dashboard or directly export data in the report page. You can take a look at this similar thread for reference.

Best Regards,

Herbert

I'm fine with not allowing export from the Dashboard.  I'm trying to enable export from a report.  A few weeks back, there was the ability to click on the three dots from a report and see the export function.  Now, there three dots are not displayed and we haven't done anything different on our end.  I'm not finding anything on the web regarding Microsoft's decision to remove this functionality or a work around to get it back.  

@tripbam

You can take a look at the video in this official document which is about how to use publish to web. In this video, we can see the three dots in PBI Service before publish to web. But no three dots in shared link after publish to web as following screenshots. So it is actually not supported and there is such an idea.

I only know that the export feature is disabled when embedded in WebView on Windows universal app.

export data from published report_1.jpgexport data from published report_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

How did you share the reports, using "Publish to Web"? Is Export Data turned on in your Admin Portal?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes.  I created the report using the power BI desktop and then published to the web using the Publish to Web feature.  Yes, export data is turned on under Tenant Settings under the Admin Portal.  

I'm pretty sure that I saw at least one or two similar threads regarding the inability to export data when using Publish to Web. I just checked one of mine and definitely not present.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Was this a recent change to Power BI?  Users had the ability to download a few weeks back but not missing.  Oddly, the three dots are present on some tiles but not others.  The two most critical for us are missing the dots.  Figures.  Do you think it has something to do with using the Free version versus the PRO version?  I created this using the free version but am trying to upgrade to PRO.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors