Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

nmerigaud
Regular Visitor

app.powerbi.com cannot connect to Aiven PostgreSql Database Server. (SSL validation error)

Hi Power BI team,

We are trying to leverage Power-BI to display our data that is hosted in an aiven.io Postgres Database.

I have managed to get it working on Power-BI desktop by simply adding the CA certificate (provided by aiven) into that machine's trusted root certificate.

So far so good, data is collected and reports are looking good.

I would like to publish this report and data-source to the Power-BI web-app service, and this is where things don't quite go as planned.

Both reports and data sources are published in app.powerbi.com but Data Source credentials are being lost in the process:

"Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again"

Reconfiguring the source's credentials won't work either as the SSL certificate is being rejected.

"Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.'"

Is there any way to get the power bi service to connect to said postgres database ?

Thank you,

Nicolas

3 REPLIES 3
nmerigaud
Regular Visitor

Thank you both,

Indeed using ODBC with PostgreSQL works fine with Power BI desktop.

However, now that the Postgresql connector works in the desktop app it would be a shame not to use it.

I can confirm that using both odbc or PostgreSQL I am able to publish reports to app.powerbi.com. 

However, Dataset refresh and scheduled refresh will only work after I set-up an on-premise gateway. (for both postgresql and odbc data sources).

I understand that odbc requires a gateway to be set-up but is that true for Postgres too ?
We were hoping not to have to spin up a VM specifically for powerbi, so using gateway is going to be an issue.

Thank you,

Nicolas

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nmerigaud ,

You may connect to PostgreSQL database using  "ODBC" generic database connector, see detail: http://niftit.com/connecting-power-bi-to-postgresql/. While before this, you may need to clear permissions under "Data Source settings", and establish the connection to  PostgreSQL again using ODBC.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I think if there is an ODBC Driver that would be the best way to get it working.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors