Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoshT
Advocate II
Advocate II

When are personal workspaces (my workspace) created?

Does anyone know the point at which the 'my workspace' is created in the service for any given user? i.e. is it when:

* A licence of any type is assigned to the user

* The user logs in for the first time?

Is there any potential disadvantage to having all users within a large enterprise having a personal workspace, even if they don't ever use Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoshT
Advocate II
Advocate II

I've tested this with a user who has never logged in, running the below script after a) assigning a licence and b) getting them to log in. I can confirm that the personal workspace is only created when the user logs in:

Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount

$user = [user principal name]

Get-PowerBIWorkspace -Type "PersonalGroup" -Scope Organization -All | ForEach-Object {

$printWs = $false

$_.Users | ForEach-Object {
        if ($_.UserPrincipalName -eq $user) {
            $printWs = $true
        }
    }

if ($printWs -eq $true) {
        $_
    }
}

For the other part of my question, I was trying to gather if large amounts of unused personal workspaces affects the performance of any aspects of Power BI - other than returning more data to sift through in the scanner API, the amount of data taken up by an empty workspace is minimal. This sufficed as an answer for my organisation: given that users can easily create lots of workspaces based on sharepoint lists, even if workspace creation rights are restricted, we should expect to have a large number of workspaces in the tenant and that won't be a problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JoshT
Advocate II
Advocate II

I've tested this with a user who has never logged in, running the below script after a) assigning a licence and b) getting them to log in. I can confirm that the personal workspace is only created when the user logs in:

Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount

$user = [user principal name]

Get-PowerBIWorkspace -Type "PersonalGroup" -Scope Organization -All | ForEach-Object {

$printWs = $false

$_.Users | ForEach-Object {
        if ($_.UserPrincipalName -eq $user) {
            $printWs = $true
        }
    }

if ($printWs -eq $true) {
        $_
    }
}

For the other part of my question, I was trying to gather if large amounts of unused personal workspaces affects the performance of any aspects of Power BI - other than returning more data to sift through in the scanner API, the amount of data taken up by an empty workspace is minimal. This sufficed as an answer for my organisation: given that users can easily create lots of workspaces based on sharepoint lists, even if workspace creation rights are restricted, we should expect to have a large number of workspaces in the tenant and that won't be a problem.

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JoshT 

For any Power BI user,you will have a personal workspace even if you have a free license of Power BI, it is a default workspace owned by the user in power bi service, when you log in the service, you can see it , for which only you have the access and none else.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-features#power-bi-feature-list-for-user...

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors