Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value.

Hello,

I used PowerBI Desktop to connect to google sheet and it worked great. Now when I published the report to PowerBI Service it is complaining about "We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value.". Not sure what is causing this problem? Is there something on powerbi service I need to change to get it going?

Help!

Thanks,

Parv

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fixed, it was locale issue. If someone need to know more about this or need help, please send me an email at parry2k@yahoo.com.

thanks,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

go back to Desktop - and verify that the table/field in question is actually modeling as a date field.  typically PowerBI makes the right call - but not always.  If indeed that field is defaulting to text - then re-option it to a date type and republish up to Service.

www.CahabaData.com

Yes it is type is date in powerbi desktop. 

Do a sort on that column A-Z and Z-A to see if you have any extreme outlier value like year 5000 or something.

Right now that is all I can think of for the cannot parse type message. 

You could do a sanity check and make a duplicate of the column with a different name and see if that will upload into Service okay.

www.CahabaData.com

Fixed, it was locale issue. If someone need to know more about this or need help, please send me an email at parry2k@yahoo.com.

thanks,

P

It would be best if you post a generic description of your fix as someone could search this topic a year from now and never find out how to resolve.

www.CahabaData.com

Great Idea and here is the solution.

Locale on powerbi desktop was set to Canada means date value dd/mm/yyyy and in my dataset the date was dd/mm/yyyy so everything was working fine in desktop

But when I published, i was getting the parsing error and here was the fix:

- change locale in powerbi desktop to USA means mm/dd/yyyy format and after I made this change I started same parsing error in PowerBI Desktop

-To resolve this I changed the value of my date column in google sheet to match with locale mm/dd/yyyy

- this worked fine in desktop and once published to powerbi service there was no error.

In nutshell it seems like PowerBI Service expect date mm/dd/yyyy format until there is a way to change locale in powerbi service.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Parv

Thank you for posting the fix; I do believe it all is manageable - it may depend on your Service domain.....not sure if domain is the correct Microsoft term... essentially where it is hosted...  although possibly when you originally initiated Service it may have asked, and/or you can alter in the Power BI Admin area...  Others are more versed in managing PBI Service than myself so I don't have this fix at my finger tips - - but the user base is very international - - but fundamentally it does make sense that one must align the format end to end..... 

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors