Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Parameters to change data source connection details in Power BI Service.

Hello All.

I have made two parameters for server name and database name for pbix file. I am following the below link for the same. Using these parameters, I am planning to change data source connection from SQL Server to Postgre SQL.

I am getting below issue, data source credentials are grayed out. Is this issue because of Gateway? Is gateway needed for same? Kindly suggest.

radhika_123_0-1650270299804.png

@ GilbertQ, I followed the post shared by you. Kindly suggest.

5 REPLIES 5
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

It could be due to a connection issue. Is it working in your local machine?

PowerQuery connector for SQL Server and Postgre SQL are different. Try to make the connection to SQL and Postgre SQL separately and understand the difference in Advanced Editor. Then try to implement the parameters and custom logic in the advanced editor to generate the expected M query. I'm not sure the connection will work if we change the connector dynamically. 

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

It is working in local machine as in using advance editor, I am able to connect to SQL Server and change connection to POSTGRE SQL as well. The tables get reloaded and SQL Server data gets replaced with Postgres SQL data.
Apart from this, in Power BI Service, I always get Data source credentials grayed out. Not sure, why this happens?

@Anonymous  Can you expand the Gateway connection and see whether it is expecting the gateway. 

nandukrishnavs_0-1650350031094.png

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Hi,

I am getting this,

radhika_123_0-1650351676353.png

I think you have to configure the Gateway.

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors