Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Nagendray
Helper II
Helper II

User activities by Powershell

Hi All,

Is there a way to extract user activities more than 1 day by using Powershell.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

#2. Authenticate to Power BI
$PBIAdminUPN="userName"
$PBIAdminPW="Password"

$SecPasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString $PBIAdminPW -AsPlainText -Force
$myCred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential($PBIAdminUPN,$SecPasswd)

Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount -Credential $myCred

$AuditType = 'PowerBIAudit'

$RetrieveDate = Get-Date
$RetrieveDate = $RetrieveDate.AddDays(-2) #replace -2 with days you want to extract

for($i = 0; $i -lt 1; $i++){ #repalce 1 with days you want
$RetrieveDate = $RetrieveDate.AddDays(+1)
$RetrieveYearStr = $RetrieveDate.ToString('yyyy')
$RetrieveMonthStr = $RetrieveDate.ToString('MM')
$RetrieveDayStr = $RetrieveDate.ToString('dd')

$StartDT = $RetrieveYearStr + '-' + $RetrieveMonthStr + '-' + $RetrieveDayStr + 'T00:00:00.000'
$EndDT = $RetrieveYearStr + '-' + $RetrieveMonthStr + '-' + $RetrieveDayStr + 'T23:59:59.999'

$datestring = $RetrieveDate.ToString('yyyyMMdd')
$ActivityLogsPath = ('D:\Audit\PowerBIAudit_' + $datestring + '.csv')

#4. Export out current date activity log events to CSV file

$ActivityLogs = Get-PowerBIActivityEvent -StartDateTime $StartDT -EndDateTime $EndDT | ConvertFrom-Json

$ActivityLogSchema = $ActivityLogs | `
Select-Object `
Id,CreationTime,CreationTimeUTC,RecordType,Operation,OrganizationId,UserType,UserKey,Workload,UserId,ClientIP,UserAgent,Activity,ItemName,WorkSpaceName,DashboardName,DatasetName,ReportName,WorkspaceId,ObjectId,DashboardId,DatasetId,ReportId,OrgAppPermission,CapacityId,CapacityName,AppName,IsSuccess,ReportType,RequestId,ActivityId,AppReportId,DistributionMethod,ConsumptionMethod, `
@{Name="RetrieveDate";Expression={$RetrieveDate}}

$ActivityLogSchema | Export-Csv $ActivityLogsPath
Write-Host ('Created file {0}' -f $ActivityLogsPath)
}

use this code, replace username and password with yours and days with your requirement

Thanks to @GilbertQ for initial code.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No.  But of course you can write your own looping code in Powershell

Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Thanks for the response, if you have loping code please send me otherwise is there any website I will find the code.

#2. Authenticate to Power BI
$PBIAdminUPN="userName"
$PBIAdminPW="Password"

$SecPasswd = ConvertTo-SecureString $PBIAdminPW -AsPlainText -Force
$myCred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential($PBIAdminUPN,$SecPasswd)

Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount -Credential $myCred

$AuditType = 'PowerBIAudit'

$RetrieveDate = Get-Date
$RetrieveDate = $RetrieveDate.AddDays(-2) #replace -2 with days you want to extract

for($i = 0; $i -lt 1; $i++){ #repalce 1 with days you want
$RetrieveDate = $RetrieveDate.AddDays(+1)
$RetrieveYearStr = $RetrieveDate.ToString('yyyy')
$RetrieveMonthStr = $RetrieveDate.ToString('MM')
$RetrieveDayStr = $RetrieveDate.ToString('dd')

$StartDT = $RetrieveYearStr + '-' + $RetrieveMonthStr + '-' + $RetrieveDayStr + 'T00:00:00.000'
$EndDT = $RetrieveYearStr + '-' + $RetrieveMonthStr + '-' + $RetrieveDayStr + 'T23:59:59.999'

$datestring = $RetrieveDate.ToString('yyyyMMdd')
$ActivityLogsPath = ('D:\Audit\PowerBIAudit_' + $datestring + '.csv')

#4. Export out current date activity log events to CSV file

$ActivityLogs = Get-PowerBIActivityEvent -StartDateTime $StartDT -EndDateTime $EndDT | ConvertFrom-Json

$ActivityLogSchema = $ActivityLogs | `
Select-Object `
Id,CreationTime,CreationTimeUTC,RecordType,Operation,OrganizationId,UserType,UserKey,Workload,UserId,ClientIP,UserAgent,Activity,ItemName,WorkSpaceName,DashboardName,DatasetName,ReportName,WorkspaceId,ObjectId,DashboardId,DatasetId,ReportId,OrgAppPermission,CapacityId,CapacityName,AppName,IsSuccess,ReportType,RequestId,ActivityId,AppReportId,DistributionMethod,ConsumptionMethod, `
@{Name="RetrieveDate";Expression={$RetrieveDate}}

$ActivityLogSchema | Export-Csv $ActivityLogsPath
Write-Host ('Created file {0}' -f $ActivityLogsPath)
}

use this code, replace username and password with yours and days with your requirement

Thanks to @GilbertQ for initial code.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to call all objects instead of having to select specific ones?

no, but again you can loop through your list of objects, same as you loop through your list of days.

Hi Arvindsingh,

If i run the above powershell script i am getting individual csv files with PowerBIAudit_respective dates, but my requirement is instead of creating individual csv files, i want single csv file with combined csv files with name as PBI_Audit_Logs.

Thanks in Advance

You can use Powershell to combine CSV files

Remove-Item $Target
Get-Content "$Path\$file1" | Add-Content $Target
Get-Content "$Path\$file2" | Select -Skip 1 | Add-Content $Target
Get-Content "$Path\$file3" | Select -Skip 1 | Add-Content $Target

etc.

If you dont mine can u send me the combined powershell script to extract audit logs for more than 24 hours. Thanks in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors