Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

klev28
Frequent Visitor

Updating semantic model issues - 700MB model has long download and publish times (PowerBI pro)

I'm working on a shared semantic model solution via a dataflow. Initial set up of the dataflow and basic model went well but now I need to edit the model, add extra data plus measures etc I'm having issues trying to download and/or publish it.

As pro licence holders only I don't have the option for direct query to the dataflow. So my dataflow and model are importing the data. The source data connection in the dataflow is a cloud connection to postgreSQL database.and it takes 40mins to refresh overnight. Then the published model takes 20mins to refresh. The published model size is 680MB.

When I tried to download the model to edit it was taking a long time so I decided to just keep a copy of it on sharepoint, edit that and republish as needed. But trying to publish it is also very slow.

Is there a way around this? For example, a relatively simple way to build/edit a model based on a limited data sample then and expand to the full dataset when published?

I thought I'd ask as usually my intuition is way out on PBI and there is a really simple solution that I'm just clueless about.

Thanks for helping!

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @klev28 

What I would do is instead of using the data flow I would create all the data in my power bi desktop using Power query. In this way it is a single refresh and any changes can easily be made in the power bi desktop file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors