Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

RonLieuw
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing report via PBI service

I created a report and shared it with colleagues. One of them raised the following concern:

When I create a report in PowerBI and save and share it, it does not only contain the 'how do I build this report' but also 'where do I connect to'.
So if I create the report based on 'saascustomer1.topde.net' and save the report and give it to you, you automatically get the connection available for 'saascustomer1.topde.net' and thus you can see his data.
It seems that even with the templates the 'data source' is still embedded in the template and thus we share the saas url + (presumably encrypted) authorization.

Is this true?

Can some one share some light on this concern?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @RonLieuw,

From your question, I understand that you are sharing your report to your colleagues and you just want to now if the credentials are also shared with them.

The Power BI reports in service basically don't need the credentials to be shared with the users to whom the reports are shared. 

When you share a report to a user, it basically means you are extending the access to them for the reports. But the credentials are not shared. But since they have access to the report, they will be able to view the report.

For a report to be successfully viewed, the creation of Data Source in the Gatewaay is all you need. So it means that since your credentials are given to the data source present in your gateway that is responsible to run the report, the report can be viewed by anyone who has appropriate access to the report

Hope I answed your question!!!

Regards,

Thejeswar

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @RonLieuw,

From your question, I understand that you are sharing your report to your colleagues and you just want to now if the credentials are also shared with them.

The Power BI reports in service basically don't need the credentials to be shared with the users to whom the reports are shared. 

When you share a report to a user, it basically means you are extending the access to them for the reports. But the credentials are not shared. But since they have access to the report, they will be able to view the report.

For a report to be successfully viewed, the creation of Data Source in the Gatewaay is all you need. So it means that since your credentials are given to the data source present in your gateway that is responsible to run the report, the report can be viewed by anyone who has appropriate access to the report

Hope I answed your question!!!

Regards,

Thejeswar

Thanks Thejeswar

@RonLieuw,

You are welcome!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors