Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sabilahmed
Resolver I
Resolver I

SharePoint Online - Everyone in organization is able to view reports

Hello,

I'm having an issue where I have emedded a coupe of Power BI reports in SharePoint Online (we have an internal intranet set up using SharePoint).

The issue i'm having is everyone can view the reports even if I havent given them permission. I went into Power BI Service and selected "Give access to specific people" - there are only about 5 people that should be able to view the report, but several people have told me they can view it too. I checked via screenshare and they are right.

What can I do to restrict the access? Please help.

Many thanks,

S

7 REPLIES 7
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sabilahmed 

Embedding a report in SharePoint Online doesn't automatically give users permission to view the report - you need to set view permissions in Power BI.

If you're using a Microsoft 365 Group to build your SharePoint Online team site, is to list the user as a member of the workspace within the Power BI service and the SharePoint page. For more information, see how to manage a workspace.

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-manage-app-workspace-in-power-bi-and-o... 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

In the direct access area, only folks that are members of the workspace, and those you gave direct access to should show up there

I think I would remove it, if I didn't put it there

Other than that, I'm out of ideas

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Make sure none of your report consumers have direct access to the workspace

When you select the Share icon for the report, then in the "Send link" dialog, select "More permissions", what do you see in the "Manage permissions" pop up?  Is it what you expect?

blopez11_1-1645206542534.png

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. So yes I checked this - it looks right to me:

sabilahmed_0-1645221908920.png

However, in the direct access section there is a general email in there that I didnt put there, something like:

companyxyz@companyxyz.onmicrosoft.com

Could this be the issue?

sabilahmed
Resolver I
Resolver I

@blopez11 

Any ideas buddy?

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

It would be helpful to know the method you used to embed the PBI report into SharePoint

Thanks,

Hi @blopez11 

Thanks for getting back to me.

In the site/ page I embedded the report - I clicked on the "+" icon and in search I typed in "Power BI", the following app came up in the search:

sabilahmed_0-1645110163849.png

By clicking on this app it allows me to add a link. The link I grabbed from Power BI service by clicking on "Embed report" and then "SharePoint Online".

I pasted in the link into the embedded app on sharepoint. On Power BI service I made shure to add share report with specific people.

Hope this helps - give me a shout if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Sabil

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors