Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CurtStep01
Frequent Visitor

Settings Dataset Error

Good Day All

I am stuck and I need your help. I have set up an on premises gateway which is connected and working, i have then added the datasources which are conneced and working. 

When I go to the settings folder on the web, choose dataset and choose the correct report. I then get the option to choose gateway connection and map data sources in the dataset to the gateway sources. The excel connection maps no problem!

My issue is the SQL database gateway source is not recognised, it does not appear on the map dropdown menu. 

I have tried to add the dataset source use the add to gateway option, which i run through and connect but when i jump back through to settings, sql database source still does not appear or be recognised.

Any suggestions?

CurtStep01_0-1593459229748.png

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CurtStep01,

It seems like power bi not recognize the localhost service. I'd like to suggest you use your device IP address or server name instead of 'localhost'. SQL - Query to get server's IP address 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Can you show how you configured the data source for your localhost:1433 in the Manage Gateways?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert

I managed to get some rest and sort it out this morning. The gateway source would only connect to the SQL database using localhost without the port 1433. 

I changed PowerBi desktop source to 127.0.0.1 excluded the port 1433, made sure the desktop dataset could refresh. Republished and used 127.0.0.1, it accepted and i'm up and running.

The issue was the port connection locally on 1433 and the inability to connect using port 1433 from the gateway source side and just using localhost.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors