Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scheduled Refresh Failure

I have 8 dashboards pulling data from different sharepoint sites. Only 2 of them keep failing the scheduled refresh giving the message "The refresh operation failed because it took too long to complete. Consider reducing the size of your dataset or breaking it up into smaller datasets". Could this be because i have them all running at the same time or is there a workaround as i am pulling only the necessary data from sharepoint, i dont think i can reduce the size. 

4 REPLIES 4
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Setting up the refresh schedule at different times might help mitigate the issue since there is lesser load on your SharePoint site, however, it may not resolved the issue completely.

One thing that has greatly helped me address the  issue is by filtering the data in Power Query - This includes both, removing unnecessary columns as well as rows (based on date, etc.). If you have already tried this option and it didn't help, then I suggest you to use Power BI premium.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you, i will try filtering rows and removing redundant or unnecessary columns. Is this based on a file size (the .pbix file is only 5,000 kb). Though, i believe there is over 60,000 rows of data being brought in from one data source.

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok thank you, i will try filtering rows and removing redundant or unnecessary columns. Is this based on a file size (the .pbix file is only 5,000 kb). Though, i believe there is over 60,000 rows of data being brought in from one data source.

It is not based on file size. I have a PBIX file that is 3 MB in size but takes over 50 minutes to refresh. The error is directly related to ow long it takes to refresh the data. Note that sometimes (actually often), Power BI Service takes longer to refresh data, particularly for cloud data sources.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Would this be related to how many dashboards are refreshing? I have 8 of them, and some co-workers using the same sharepoint pages have several of their own. Running refreshes either automatically or manually. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors