Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

arielfilipa
Helper I
Helper I

Same Gateway to be used by several users

Hi,

My team is using Power BI to share different dashboards with several people.

Each of us install the one-premises data gateway in your own laptop and the refresh schedule works fine.

However we would like to have setup a desktop with one gateway that can be use to refresh all our dashboards. so in case if one of us is on holidays the refresh will continue to work and if necessary one of us can edit the dashboard.

We have created a workspace group were all of us have admin rights but if my colleague trys to refresh the dashboard that I've created and my gateway is offline it doesn't work.

Can you please help us to setup a gateway so that all members of my team can use it ?

Thanks,

Filipa

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@arielfilipa

To refresh the dashboard, the gateway must be online. So it is best to install the gateway on a machine that can be left running all the time. Once one member has setup a gateway, he/she can share the gateway to other members as below.

Same Gateway to be used by several users_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hi @v-haibl-msft,

we already tried this but when we try to setup a schedule refresh it doesn't allow to add a new data gateway unless I have installed the personal gateway. (image below)

And if I install the personal gateway it only appears that gateway available for me to use.

Can you please check it ?

Gateway.png

@arielfilipa

Before schedule refresh, have you installed the on-premises gateway and signed in to add/configure the data source for it?

Reference documents: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql/

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4232/how-to-use-the-power-bi-enterprise-gateway/

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hi @v-haibl-msft,

my data source are several Excel Files that are all stored in a specific folder and according to the instructions it has to match to Power BI Desktop. In Powr BI Desktop I've used the get data - Excel option.

"Server and database name have to match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the on-premises data gateway gateway!"

Do you know if it's possible to setup the data source for gateway with several Excel files ?

Or should I need to change the source to Folder in Power BI desktop ?

data source.png

@arielfilipa

Please refer to my screenshots below. You need to add sources for all of the excel files. Then you can see the on-premises gateway is online when you schedule refresh.

Same Gateway to be used by several users_1.jpgSame Gateway to be used by several users_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors