Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

marcopol
Frequent Visitor

Restrict End Users from Editing my Report

Hi there

I have created a report and I have shared the link with my end users. Everyone is part of the same organisation but my end users are not members of the Power BI workspace where the report lives. However, when they open the report they still have the option to "Edit" the report.

marcopol_0-1671359034220.png

If they press 'edit', would they be able to edit and possibly change my report?, if so, how can I share the report with them without having that option in their browsers?

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @marcopol ,

I don't want to speak for @StefanoGrimaldi , but in general you should use an app to distribute reports to users who will only view (not edit) the reports. Here is some additional information:

https://www.phdata.io/blog/how-to-create-power-bi-app/

https://www.coatesdatastrategies.com/blog/why-use-a-power-bi-app

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
marcopol
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for your answer and for the best practice advice. However, I have one more question. I want to use the workspace for distribuition but how can I restrict the access so other people can't edit the report without creating an app?

I don't want to use an app for what I need, I just want to share a simple report with my team but I don't want them to edit the report.

I've seen that it's possible, Does it have to do with the link that I'm sharing? The permissions are connected to the link that I share? Probably, I should've created a new link with only "Read" permission? 

marcopol_0-1672867983343.png

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers,

Marco

djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @marcopol ,

I don't want to speak for @StefanoGrimaldi , but in general you should use an app to distribute reports to users who will only view (not edit) the reports. Here is some additional information:

https://www.phdata.io/blog/how-to-create-power-bi-app/

https://www.coatesdatastrategies.com/blog/why-use-a-power-bi-app

thats exactly what I try to tell, but better explained more precise 😛 

but yes basically if you shareing a link that can be giging acces to the workspace you need to create a app as @djurecicK2  told as in the link he referes to, and share to end users always by apps never by other mean. unless they are cobollaritve users to the report or datasets etc. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

marcopol
Frequent Visitor

Hi Stefano

Thanks for you reply. So that means, that I shouldn't use the share button if I don't want my end users to be able to edit the report?

marcopol_0-1671394910767.png

On the other hand, sometimes I get access to some reports (only the report no the app) but I'm not able to edit them. I don't really understand how this works.

For example, I have access to this report but I'm not able to edit it:

marcopol_1-1671395005413.png

Please note that I'm not adding people to the workspace just sharing the link to the report but is this giving them hidden access to edit the reports even though they are not members of the workspace?

Cheers,

Mark

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

you shouldnt share in any way the workspace unless part of the development and test team for the workspace, the good practice would be to create the workspace to a app and share access to the app, apps cant be edited while access on it even by the administrador. if u share access to the workspace its a higher level of permits to the workspace and less friendly to consume. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors