Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PoojaG
Advocate I
Advocate I

Report level security under one Workspace

Hello,

We have one Premium Workspace alloted for our reports to be published and viewed. As the scope of our project increases, we need to add multiple reports under same workspace. 

My question is: I want to limit group of users to access all the reports. Lets say, there are 3 reports named A, B and C report and three users X, Y and Z. X should have access to only A report, Y should have access to B and C reports, so on. 

Is it possible to achieve this under one Workspace? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Do not give your report consumers workspace access, instead share specific reports from that workspace with them

If you have  a large number of consumers for say, report A, then create a security group, add the users to the security group, then share the report with the security group

Thanks,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Do not give your report consumers workspace access, instead share specific reports from that workspace with them

If you have  a large number of consumers for say, report A, then create a security group, add the users to the security group, then share the report with the security group

Thanks,

@blopez11 that's great to know. No, as of now, we don't intend to create an App. Just reports. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@blopez11  What if we are Updating Apps?

As I believe, currently, there can only be one app per workspace, and if you want to keep using apps, then you may have to pursue a solution as @Anonymous  mentions, using RLS to blank out data in reports that a user should not see

I think in this scenario, where we are limited to one app per workspace, and I can't hide specific reports in an app using some kind of security, I would refert back to granting access on a report by report basis

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PoojaG  currently i do not think Power Bi has that option to restrict reports with respect to RLS applied.

However you can  make use of RLS and set roles so that user get to see only the respective data and all other data will be blank.

@Anonymous  thanks for your response. We are not going to create an App using the reports under Workspace. In that case, wouldn't the solution provided by @blopez11 work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PoojaG  Yes it does work ..... However, make sure that all the users need to have pro license..If Power bi content is pro then user who consumes the data should also have pro license.

If this helped you please mark this as accepted solution

hi @PoojaG - if you have a premium workspace and want to share different reports to different users then best approach would be to grant report level access as required (even for non pro users) - also as mentioned by @blopez11 you should create Security groups for access control if you have a large number of users

Also I am assuming the 3 reports are showing different metrics/KPIs and not different only from the prospective of data - if it is only different based on data that users need to see then you should explore the option of RLS - Deploy just 1 report with RLS setup
Please refer to the the steps in the Microsoft documentation to create and assign members to specific roles for RLS
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

Also RLS is only applied to users with "Viewer" access to reports; RLS will not apply to users with other levels of access.

Please mark the above comment as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Also please provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors