Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kfrench

Refreshing data in dashboards

I am pretty new to PowerBI, but am quickly realizing the power of it.  I started with the desktop application, I have my dataset, I have created a report with multiple tabs, and I have published this to the PowerBI Service.  In the PowerBI Service interface, I am building dashboard that I can share with customers, or worst case save to a PDF to share with customers.

I am not pinning a live page, partially because I really like the simplicity and spacing of pinning the individual visuals, but also because the reports I am building should not allow the end user to change the customer selection.  I have filters built into the reports, and the two primary ones I am looking to change are the customer, and the date range (I am reporting on the past 12 months performance).  So far I have been saving the filter on the report and pinning all of the visuals to customer specific dashboards, arranging the visuals, adding secondary titles, etc.  As I am just getting this going I have only done this for 10 customers, but it looks to be a lot of repetitive work to every month create a new dashboard for 50+ customers, pin and arrange all of the visuals, and add secondary titles.

My hope is I can create a single dashboard and through some way change the customer and date, and have the dashboard reflect these changes.  I can then capture the dashboard to be reported to the customer, and move on to the next customer.  From my research it seems pretty clear I can't change the filters on the reports to achieve this, but I was finding hints there may be other ways.  I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction for ways to have the date and customer be dynamic for the dashboard, but not show up on the dashboard itself.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions, and help.

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @kfrench,

As I know, there is no option for us to pin slicer to dashboard except for Pin live page. We always filter the data in report then pin the visual to dashboard.

So if you want to change the filter for customer and date, you'd better Pin live page.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @kfrench,

If you can work at a report level rather than using actual dashboards, you could use RLS (row-level security) to limit what data a specific user is able to see, based on permissions set by you. That would allow a single source with all the data, but with user-specific views.

Given your situation, I would avoid dashboards entirely, other than maybe an aggregate overview page that drills into the report, which will be filtered by RLS.

Regarding dynamic customer/date slicers, do you want them available within Power BI desktop and invisible in the Service, or visible in the Service report but not a dashboard?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors