Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing dashboards in Power BI Service

Hello,

I work on Power BI dashboards based on Fresh Service datas. The Fresh Service option I use provides me with hourly .csv files, but I could not refresh the data and the table automatically without manual intervention. After a post on the Power BI Desktop forum (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Need-help-with-Fresh-Service-and-autorefresh/m-p/2846619), the help of Pablo Deheza and the creation of a Gateway, I was able to get to where I am.

On Power BI Service, I have automated the exports from Fresh Service, with Scheduled Refreshes. I configured eight (I can't add more) of them, every hour from 9h30 to 16h30. The data update is more or less the way I want it (sometimes loading 20 minutes from start to finish, to get the updated data after Xh50, but I guess I can't do anything about it [Edit : it loaded for 30 minutes 50 for the last update, from 10:30:00 for 11:00:50, such a long time is not convenient :/]), but even after updating the data, my dashboard on Power BI Service remains the same ; I then have to reload by myself the page to get the result I want.

I tried to use a short HTML script that would allow me to reload the page every set time interval (for example five minutes), but as I expected, the site has a protection against reloading the page using a script.

It may be trivial, but I'm still a beginner on Power BI, and I don't know what to do even after researches X)

How do I get the dashboard to update once the data is properly retrieved ?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me ^^

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try to create a Desktop flow with  Power Automate. Simulates manually clicking the refresh button and opening the report

For more details, you can read related document: Create a Power Automate desktop flow - Power Automate | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try to create a flow by Power Automate.

The flow steps:

1. according to your demands to refresh the dataset to get the new data

2. when refresh complete, open the report in web browser

For more details, you can read related document: How To Use Power Automate To Refresh Data In Power BI (enterprisedna.co)

Thanks for your efforts & time in advance.

Best regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Binbin Yu,

Thank you very much for your answer. I followed this tutorial as you advised, but I am not sure if this is what I am looking to do.

Power Automate allows me to create a flow that is connected to a button, but the goal is that the dashboard reloads without human intervention. Eventually, the dashboard should be displayed on a screen, on a wall, and nobody should have to touch it, so I can't afford to create a button to reload (even if I admit it would probably be easier and faster X)). And I didn't find in the Power Automate settings on Power BI Desktop an option to automate the operation, but maybe I missed it.

I also have another question. Even after making the button, when trying to run it, I get an error. I received an email from PowerAutomateNoReply@microsoft.com telling me "1 of your flow(s) have failed" and I see on make.powerautomate.com (where I am redirected by going to flow.microsoft.com) that my last calls are failing. Looking at the video at the end of the article, I see that the reloads with Power Automate count towards the 8 daily refreshes provided by Power BI Pro, or 48 with Power BI Premium. I already have 8 refreshes set up on Power BI Service (even though they are supposed to occur later in the day, I guess the loads are "saved" to be properly honored ?), which is probably why I have failures ; however, having a Premium license per user, shouldn't I have 48 refreshes per day ? Of course, I am using the right account, not a second one or anything else. If you have the answer to this, I'm also interested ^^'>

Horus33_0-1666255188557.png

Anyway, I thank you very much for the time you have already spent on me, hoping you have the answer to my problems ^^'>

I will continue to try to solve it on my side, of course.

Best regards,

Horus

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your descriptions, i think you have set the schedule refresh rule in Power BI Service, the number of times this type of refresh is limited, please try to use the common refresh, this type of refresh has no limits.

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again,

I'm really sorry but I can't see or make work what you are talking about 😕

I don't see any additional settings I missed in the Power Automate configuration on Power BI Desktop and even after disabling all the automatic refreshes of the day and waiting for Fresh Service to send me the new data (I have a copy of my file, one serves as a test and the other as a witness), the button doesn't seem to work since the table doesn't update after activation. Even when clicking on "Refresh visuals" or reloading the page. I add that I didn't had to enter the link and identifiers to download the datas, as they come from a website, to configure the Power Automate.

make.powerautomate.com shows me various successes and failures, but even in the case of successes the table is not updated.

So I don't know what to do X)

Thanks again for taking your time to help me, I'm not very smart ^^'>

(Tell me also if I'm in the right forum, at first I was on Desktop but following the advice of a user, I understood that I had to use the automatic refreshes on Service and I changed forum. Now I don't really know where I'm supposed to be and I get confused X))

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please try to create a Desktop flow with  Power Automate. Simulates manually clicking the refresh button and opening the report

For more details, you can read related document: Create a Power Automate desktop flow - Power Automate | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors