Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

thebat276
Regular Visitor

PowerBI and SharePoint Document Library as a Data Source

Will a PowerBI dashboard encounter any issues with displaying data if I exceed the SharePoint Document  Library List view threshold of 5000? The PowerBI dashboard will be what a user uses to search through data,SharePoint is just a repository, we are only using it to store data not view it. 

Can someone share some insight?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

I've done more than 5,000, but I am not sure where the limit is, and it is not Power BI, it is what SP will return.

I would advise using the SharePoint.Contents connector instead of SharePoint.Files. Just create the connection as normal, then when you are looking at the file list, change the formula to use the SharePoint.Contents connector. it will now let you drill through to folders. As long as no folder has more than 5K files in it, you'll have no problem.

The downside is, you can only see one folder at a time, so if files are spread across folders, it is less ideal.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

I've done more than 5,000, but I am not sure where the limit is, and it is not Power BI, it is what SP will return.

I would advise using the SharePoint.Contents connector instead of SharePoint.Files. Just create the connection as normal, then when you are looking at the file list, change the formula to use the SharePoint.Contents connector. it will now let you drill through to folders. As long as no folder has more than 5K files in it, you'll have no problem.

The downside is, you can only see one folder at a time, so if files are spread across folders, it is less ideal.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors