Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

proka
Frequent Visitor

Power BI in ASP Net MVC

Hi 😃

I am an Azure noob (I don't have an account).

I am researching various embedding but with no results.

• I have created a Live Data report in Power BI Desktop, which connects to an SQL db.
  • I have published the report on Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com - BTW, why isn't the subdomain service.powerbi.com, if everybody calls it service - microsoft ©). I have installed a gateway to allow the published report to connect to the SQL...
  • Now I want to embed it in an MVC application, but couldn't find a viable solution.
    • File > Publish to Web doesn't work with live data
    • The other two options described here seem to require Azure or Power BI Pro account and I haven't tackled those yet.
    • I have also generated a Client ID and Client Secret here but don't know what to do with these

My question:

1.  How do I embed a report (data live, also with parameters) in an MVC application? Do i really need Power BI Pro? What is reccomended way to do this?
2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, I'm pretty sure you need a Pro account because of the live data and such and yes, you need an Azure account to setup the embedded instance:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/power-bi-embedded/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I wouldn't be so sure, Greg Deckler, as I know you can have free Azure AD and by creating a client Id and client secret here, there's a way to connect to the API and get the embedded report without the need of a Pro account, or something similar. (Not powerbi embedded, but getting the embedded report through an API or something).

That's what I'm looking for, a complete and easy tutorial.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors