Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

heathernicole
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Power BI Personal Gateway - Data Refresh failure

I have setup a computer for reporting for each of our companies. 

Each one has their own personal gateway.

I've made sure the credentials are correct - but I keep getting an error message - any ideas??? 

Last refresh failed: Tue Mar 01 2016 00:20:43 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.
Processing error:Memory error: Allocation failure . If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine. Memory error: Allocation failure . If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine. Memory error: Allocation failure . If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine. Memory error: Allocation failure . If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine. Memory error: Allocation failure . If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine.
Cluster URI:WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:165fa9e4-eff2-468c-9581-24e295eb05a5
Request ID:804c2162-476d-484b-b1a3-4ac54f292a39
Time:2016-03-01 05:20:43Z
~heathernicoale
5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Just spit-balling here, but are you on a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? Is this happening on all of the machines?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Both computers are 64-bit.

One company is refreshing fine - the other isn't. 

~heathernicoale

Aggghhh this just happened to me with a client - I can't find a solution.

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Still having this issue - and apparently no one else is sure what's causing it either. 🙂 

~heathernicoale

Here's my guess - the Azure service running the Power BI update job in the background has some memory limitations.

I ran the update job manually yesterday and watched the computer with the gateway service running.  There wasn't a spike in memory consumption and it certainly never got close to maxing out.  I shrank my model a little bit, just taking some dates off of the main fact table, and now everything works fine.  This is a bad error that Microsoft should be aware of - for now shrinking the model a bit seems to fix the problem.

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors