Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ROCKYDO12
Helper III
Helper III

Power BI Groups/Roles

Hey,

I am looking to set up groups within my power bi reports. I am wondering what is the easiest way to manage and maintain this access as well. In addition to the user groups for admins and view only, I am looking to set up additional groups for specific reports. For example, I want to set up a HR group that can only access HR reports and a Manager Group that can only access Manager reports. These reports will be embeded on share point as well.

My Questions:

1. What is the best way to create/set up these groups in Power BI? Would it be Row-level security or is there something better I can leverage. 

2. Can groupings be done right in share point so I can create user groups and restrict certain reports?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ROCKYDO12 

Yes you could use an Office 365 Group, if it is just for adding access via an App or SharePoint.

Using an App means you can customize how it looks, which reports/dashboards to include and it is a read-only format!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @ROCKYDO12 

The best way to manage this is to create Azure Active Directory (AAD) Security Groups, and then add in the required users to each group.

In terms of then using reports I would create App Workspaces, then create an App and assign the AAD Security Group to the app.

When embedding in SharePoint I would suggest then embedding the Power BI report in the SharePoint page into a site which relates once again to the AAD Group you created. For example if there are reports for HR, I would embed the Power BI reports into the HR SharePoint site?

Power BI Blog

Thanks for your reply.

Essentially you could do the same thing with Azure Active Directory by leveraging Office 365 portal instead?

What would be the benfit of creating an app vs. using sharepoint?

Hi @ROCKYDO12 

Yes you could use an Office 365 Group, if it is just for adding access via an App or SharePoint.

Using an App means you can customize how it looks, which reports/dashboards to include and it is a read-only format!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors