Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EpicTriffid
Helper IV
Helper IV

PBI Personal Gateway

Hi all,

I've been looking around and stumbled across the personal gateway. I was wondering if you could clarify a few things based on my situation.

I've created a report uploaded to a workspace that is shared by members of my org. The dataset is an excel sheet held in a shared drive, shared amongst those same members. 

Currently, any time the dataset is updated by someone else, I have to go into PBI Desktop and refresh the data, then republish it. 

Firstly, is this needed? Or can someone select refresh on the online report and it pull through the new data after they've edited the dataset?

Secondly, if I install a personal gateway, what does this allow me to do that I couldn't do before? If I set up a scheduled refresh, does this mean it essentially automatically does the manual refresh I did previously?

Hopfully that's not too vague! 

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @EpicTriffid ,

Which type of connectors are you use? Sharepoint connector or web connector?
If you mean web connector, power bi will use onedrive refresh to manage your report data source that stored on SharePoint online.

Data refresh in Power BI 

If your mean SharePoint connector, you can also consider configuring the scheduler refresh to refresh your datasource.

Configure scheduled refresh
Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
KBO
MVP

Hi,

you can upload the file directly into the service from sharepoint or onedrive. So the file will refresh automatically every hour :). Or you can trigger it with flow (power automate)- every time you get a new dataset into your excel file the dataset will be refreshed.

The gateway upload data from onpremises sources like an onpremises SQLDB or SAP ... to the dataset in your service 🙂

Best,

Kathrin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors