Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Konkan

On-premises personal gatway stopped working

Hi,

Our personal gateway was working fine on our Azure server (Windows 2016) till yesteday. After Windows server update - 2021-07 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB5004948), the server was restarted.

Re-started on-premises gateway (personal mode) but it would not start or provide option to sign in. The data settings on the website shows gateway is not reachable. We have reinstalled the gateway 2 or 3 times but nothing works. There is no option to sign in. The installation screen only shows "Gateway service not running on your computer". We even tried deleting the gateway config on the website settings but that also did not help.

Currently, we are unable to add a configuration on the web nor is the gateway installing on the server. What can we do? Request your assistance in solving the problem.

Thanks,
Pradeep

8 REPLIES 8
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Konkan ,

Could you tell me if my post helps you a little? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution to make the thread closed. More people will benefit from it.

Hope to hear from you‌‌😀

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Konkan ,

Please follow these steps to find the event logs for the on-premises data gateway service:

1. On the computer with the gateway installation, open the Event Viewer.

2. Expand Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs.

3. Select On-premises data gateway service.

event log.PNG

And according to your description,it may be related to the environment, the firewall and many other security factors. 

You may ask IT for further help.

If you still cannot solve the issue,sorry for that, we do not found an effective solution, please go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ ,scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET" for further help if you are a pro user.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Konkan

Hi @collinq 

I tried installing the standard gateway and reconfigured the settings on the portal and it seems to work fine now. Not sure what it was that caused this issue but it is fine now.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Pradeep

Konkan

Hi,

The error log for gateway startup shows this,

0000-0000-0000-000000000000 9489CFD3 [DM.GatewayCore] Swallowing non-fatal exception encountered during attempt 1/3 for startup of Configuration service: System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: A TCP error (10013: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions) occurred while listening on IP Endpoint=127.0.0.1:45376. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

I have disabled the Windows Server Firewall at Domain Profile level and also disabled my Antivirus.

What could be the issue?

Hi @Konkan ,

I am wondering a copule things - why are you using a personal gateway instead of the standard one on a server?  Secondly, have you updated the gateway (a new version came about a week or so ago)?

The second message you sent has an error message that indicates to me that the service might not be actually running, or, it is configured to run on a port that is not allowing access through the system.  Are you using Endpoint Security?  If so, you probably have to configure your security to allow that IP address and that port to access the data and Power BI.  Make sure that the IIS service is running as well.  Also, some ports require admin (or at least elevated permissions at some organizations).

I am leaning to this being a network issue and allowing for free flow of data and not necessarily a PBI issue. 

Let us know if any of these suggestion work out!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq 

Thanks for your reply. You are absolutely right - we are using ESET File Security. Need to check if has IP Whitelisting.

Our service provider had suggested we use personal gateway as we have single Pro license. Also, our earlier attempts to create an enterprise gateway never succeeded. Personal gateway seemed to work itself out.

I am surprised at one fact that the refreshes worked fine till about 36 hours ago and the Windows Server 2016 update must have messed something up. The gateway just wouldn't come up. So, we decided to uninstall and install it again where it never got to the sign-in stage. We never did any IP whitelisting or changes to the EST File Security tool earlier.

In fact, I even installed the standard gateway which worked but the gateway setup on the Admin portal would not allow me to enter the SQL Server credentials (type=Basic). That is the reason I fell back on personal gateway...again.

Will try the IP whitelist and let you know.

Thanks,

Hi @collinq 

There is no option in File Security to whitelist ports. The error log shows 127.0.0.1:45376 which is the local host. I have added an Inbound & OutBound rule in the Windows Firewall to allow traffic on this port. But as I said earlier, this was never an issue earlier.

Is there any other part of the log file(s) that could be useful for diagnosis?

Hi @Konkan ,

You might try a network trace (like fiddler) and see where the block might be?  Other than that I am wondering if the EST not only needs to whitelist the port but the IP address as well?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors