Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

srinival
Helper I
Helper I

On Prem Data Gateway

Hi Team,

We have a On Prem SQL Server which is acting as Data Source for which we use Import functionaity, we use a On Prem Gateway Standard Edition for publishing the data to Service.

Our Company wants to move the On Prem SQL Server and On Prem Gateway to Azure / AWS Cloud.

I have few clarifications in this regard.

Do we require on On Prem Gateway when our servers are moving to Cloud.

Please do share me any documentation if we are moving the Gateway to Cloud 

Thanks and Regards

Srini

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

depending on the source type and configuration you dont requeire a gateway at all to connect to cloud base sources, read these:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#accessing-cloud-data-sources

it will give you a better notion depending on witch its your case exactly. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @srinival ,

Datasets that use cloud data sources, such as Azure SQL DB, don't require a data gateway if Power BI can establish a direct network connection to the source. However, you might need a data gateway if your data sources are behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks.  Accordingly, you can manage the configuration of these data sources by using the Data source credentials section in the dataset settings.

While cloud data sources don't necessarily require a gateway, a gateway is required if a dataset connects to both on-premises and cloud sources in a single mashup query.

You can refer to the following documents: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#accessing-cloud-data-sources

Best Regards, 

Neeko Tang 

If this posthelps, then please considerAccept it as the solutionto help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
srinival
Helper I
Helper I

Hi All,

Thanks for the clarifications provided, I was using Standard Gateway as our data source is still in On-Premise and we just moved our On Prem gateway to Cloud.

I have not encountered any issue after it was migrated.

Regards

Srini

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @srinival ,

Datasets that use cloud data sources, such as Azure SQL DB, don't require a data gateway if Power BI can establish a direct network connection to the source. However, you might need a data gateway if your data sources are behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks.  Accordingly, you can manage the configuration of these data sources by using the Data source credentials section in the dataset settings.

While cloud data sources don't necessarily require a gateway, a gateway is required if a dataset connects to both on-premises and cloud sources in a single mashup query.

You can refer to the following documents: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#accessing-cloud-data-sources

Best Regards, 

Neeko Tang 

If this posthelps, then please considerAccept it as the solutionto help the other members find it more quickly. 

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

depending on the source type and configuration you dont requeire a gateway at all to connect to cloud base sources, read these:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#accessing-cloud-data-sources

it will give you a better notion depending on witch its your case exactly. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors