Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vrossouw
Helper III
Helper III

Not receiving email on Alert

Hi

I have ticked the box , to receive emails on the Alert function.  But I don't receive any alerts.  I guess the reason is that my email address is not the same as the PowerBI username.  How can we set up this function to receive email alerts?

I have set up the "alternate" email , but I still don't receive alerts

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vrossouw You could just use Microsoft Flow Just sign in -> My Flows -> Create from Blank -> Search "Power" -> select power bi "on trigger event" - Choose the Alert -> New Step -> Outlook (or some mail provider -> Choose action -> set up the email -> Create Flow

This will also allow you to send to multiple people. You should just be able to log in to Flow with the same creds. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

@vrossouw You could just use Microsoft Flow Just sign in -> My Flows -> Create from Blank -> Search "Power" -> select power bi "on trigger event" - Choose the Alert -> New Step -> Outlook (or some mail provider -> Choose action -> set up the email -> Create Flow

This will also allow you to send to multiple people. You should just be able to log in to Flow with the same creds. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Using Flow instead of the build-in feature is a workaround for a not working feature, right? There are several other posts concerning the issue of not receiving emails around here. I put a post into the "Issues" forum and it would be great if people voted for it!

@Sokon Using Flow would be a work around if you just want to email yourself. But it extends the functionality of an alert by allowing you to email to other users, groups, etc. You are not able to do that in PowerBI, and in those cases I wouldn't consider it a work around.

@Seth_C_Bauer Yes, you are absolutely right! Flow offers more possibilities and works fine the way you describe it.

However, this thread started orginally with the exact description of the issue and refers to the build-in function. That's why I added the link to the issue post.

@Seth_C_Bauer  Hi, I have set up the alert , but the alert failed:

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Alert.PNG

@Seth_C_Bauer   This is the error message....

@vrossouw Are you a free or Pro user? What is the data source, I'm assuming the alert is set on a card tile... I'm just looking for some additional background to see what the issue might be, as I've never seen this.

Yes, Pro, but some users wont be.
Data source is One Drive, loaded in the service.
May it be because out BI login 'domain' is different to the email domain?

@vrossouw Even if that is the case and you have creds in Azure AD that are seperate from you internal I would still assume that the Flow would work. But the first part of this is to get the Alert working... Have you "un-checked" the email option in the alert in PBI?

@Seth_C_Bauer Hi, the alert is still ticked. I receive the notification in the service, but not on email.

@vrossouw And when you log into Microsoft Flow, it is with the same account that you are using in Power BI. The alert shows up for you in Flow, but it throws an error?

Or only after you add the email task to it?

@Seth_C_Bauer thank you for your support.  My email alerts are now working. 

@vrossouw That's great, was it an issue that IT was able to resolve? It would be good to know what the problem was.

Hi

I did not select the "down" selection option on my first attempt, to select the specific alert.

Also, I first attempted to send the email to Outlook (Send to outlook), which prompted for log in details etc.

I changed this to send to email, which worked okay.

Thank you

@Seth_C_Bauer  Hi, thank you for the support so far.  I currently have my IT department looking into the email issue.

Regards

@Seth_C_Bauer  Hi, thank you very much.   I am busy testing this... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey just refresh the data set on the gateway...wait for sometime..you will get the email. It worked for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors