Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple Apps Sharing an App Workspace?

I am using PowerBI Pro and I am trying to build some kind of solution with many apps in it, and I would like to share the same app workspace to be more consolidated. 

Let's say I have DataSet1 and DataSet2 and I would like to create Report1 and Report2 and then publish those out to App1 and App2 with different audiences. Could all of that live within one app workspace? Or is the app workspace limited to 1 app and 1 dataset each?

I am also curious about sharing datasources across datasets, so let's say there was a common data source between dataset1 and dataset2 - is there anyway to share those datasources?

Any guidance on designing a solution with multiple apps that have different permissions/reports, but sometimes share datasources would be appreicated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As it stands today, if you wanted to have 2 apps for different audiences you would need 2 app workspaces.

Once again as of today you would have to have 2 duplicates of the datasets in each App Workspace.
There is good news in that in the near future you will be able to have shared and certified datasets, which can be shared across multiple App workspaces.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As it stands today, if you wanted to have 2 apps for different audiences you would need 2 app workspaces.

Once again as of today you would have to have 2 duplicates of the datasets in each App Workspace.
There is good news in that in the near future you will be able to have shared and certified datasets, which can be shared across multiple App workspaces.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ thank you for the response! Do you have any idea when the shared datasets are coming or more information on that? Thanks for the help!

Hi there

here are the details and I think it is towards the middle of the year off the top of my head

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/april19/business-intelligence/p...

Power BI Blog

Supposed to be released in June as a Public Preview... when do the rest of us get it?

Thanks!

V

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors