Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wandrag

Migrating AAS to PowerBI - "You don't have permissions"

Good afternoon all,

I'm trying to migrate some of our cubes from AAS to Power BI using the Migration wizard provided within PowerBI service.

I'm getting the error "

You don't have permission to access the server.

Azure Analysis Services server validation failed, verify that account has the requisite permissions and the server is active.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details."

I've checked:
1. I do have server admin access on AAS.
2. The server is running - and I can access the models from SSMS and from Azure Portal.

What else can I check?
1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. This can be for several reasons. In order to fix all permission issues, please make sure you are doing all the pre requisites. Check them at this article
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/aas-pbi-migration-overview#prerequisites

In my opinion, the migration tool it's kind of tricky to make it work. The only adventage I have checked is the auto migration for roles. If you don't have many roles like RLS or OLS configured, you should consider migrate with Tabular Editor. It felt way easier to configure and test it. It's a third party software that let's you connect to a Tabular Model and deploy it to a new place (like a PowerBi dedicated capacity xmla endpoint). 

https://data-marc.com/2020/06/16/migrate-analysis-services-models-to-power-bi-using-tabular-editor/

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors