Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Karthik_Ram
Helper II
Helper II

Migrate from On Perm Report Server to Service

Hello,

I am trying to prepare PPT to recommend my organization to migrate to Power BI Service from on perm Power BI report server/ SSRS Report Server. If anyone has any PPT on how we can migrate, pro's and con's, cost, if anyonecan suggest some important subjects which i need to address in slide will be really helpful.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Karthik_Ram
Helper II
Helper II

@MSFTPBI @MSFT_JT 

Any help on this topic?

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Karthik_Ram ,

Do you mean from SSRS ro PBI RS?  Like this:Migrate a report server installation - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

or, do you mean that you have Premium, with PBI Report Server and that you want to remove Premium and go straight to cloud?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

We already have On prem Power BI Report Server. But we are planning to move to cloud and migrate all our SSRS and Power BI Paginated reports to Power BI Premium

Hi @Karthik_Ram ,

Ok, I think I understand now.  I am assuming that you have Powr BI Report Server through your SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance.  And, I am assuming that you want to go Premium.  Power BI Report Server is part of Premium if you get the Premium license.  So, from that perspective, all you should have to do is upgrade your license from the one you have to Premium.  I doubt that entails a new tenant but I am NOT a licensing expert.  I would suggest opening a ticket with Microsoft or talking to your licensing partner about getting the upgrade and to confirm that you don't have to move anything at all.  

You MIGHT have to re-publish everything under the new license though.  And if you do, that would probably require re-sharing everything that is shared.

Your original question is about things to think on.  To me, it is the licensing, then the tenant name/link not changing and then if you have to re-publish and if that affects your sharing (and RLS setup).

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks for response but now I am trying to create a PPT and showcase to my organization what are pro's and con's of moving from PBRS to PB Premium. Any inputs on that would be much appreciated. 

Karthik,

Did you complete the migration? what are the cons you faced in migrating to cloud.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors