Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

anhngv
Helper III
Helper III

Manage shared items

As an admin of PBI service in my organization, I have to share many reports/datasets/dashboards to many other users. But with an increasingly numbersof sharing objects, I cannot manage which items are shared to whom. The way I am doing now is clicking into "Manage permissions" of each stuff.

anhngv_0-1661844434303.png

It's even worse when checking in shared workplace. I have a workspace, which is shared between account A and B. Reports in this workspace are shared to account C. But when I check "Manage permissions" of the reports, it only shows account A and B (as Owner) but not showing account C (whom the reports are shared to).

anhngv_1-1661844821511.png

(diepph@ is shared the reports to, but not shown in Manage permissions of the report when checking from the owner)

So is there any better way to manage/list which items in a workspace are shared to whom?

4 REPLIES 4
v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @anhngv ,

There are many ways for Power BI to share workspace/report/dashboard/dataset, and each sharing method is different.

If you want to manage/list which items in a workspace are shared to whom, you need to check their access/permission in the corresponding workspace/report/dashboard/dataset.

For example, if you want to know who the workspace is shared with, see workspace access.

vyadongfmsft_0-1662106094844.png

If you want to know who the report/dashboard/dataset is shared with, see manage permissions.

vyadongfmsft_1-1662106094845.png

What may confuse you is the difference between "Links" and "Direct access".

vyadongfmsft_2-1662106094846.png

"Links" is to share report/dashboard/dataset through web links, which means that users can only view through links.

"Direct access" gives users direct access to report/dashboard/dataset, which means they can view it directly without going through a link.

As you mentioned "it only shows account A and B (as Owner) but not showing account C (whom the reports are shared to)", please first confirm how you shared the report to C.

For more information, please refer to: Ways to collaborate and share in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-yadongf-msft 

About ""it only shows account A and B (as Owner) but not showing account C (whom the reports are shared to)", the report is shared directly to account C.

As you may see below, in shared workspace SYS.PRM, report Advance Booking - DOM is accessed by diepph@ (account C) but when checking Manage Permission > Direct access, we can only see account A and B, as the owners

anhngv_1-1662121085448.png

Furthermore, I know how to check access/permission to see who is accessing to the report. But the point is there are many reports in a workspace, that are shared to many people, then I would like to have a list to manage them all in 1 screen rather than checking each report one by one. Is it possible?

Hi @anhngv ,

This is a little strange.

Please confirm the following two things:

1.Can user Copen the shared report normally?

2.Does the problem only happen to user C? Have you tried sharing the report directly to other users, are other users on the list?

Regarding your second question, currently there is no better way to manage/list which items in a workspace are shared to whom.

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-yadongf-msft 

Ofcourse user C can normally open and use the shared report. Currently, I only share to user C (this report is limited to access) 

anhngv_0-1662535548569.png

Hence "currently there is no better way to manage/list which items in a workspace are shared to whom" This error makes it even hard to control which reports are shared to whom.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors