Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

EmmanuelleD
Frequent Visitor

Issues with scheduled refresh / gateway

Hi all, 

My company is making the move from excel to power bi. I have experience creating reports in power bi but the background side of things is new to me and our IT consultants seem to have limited experience with power bi. I'm hoping someone on here can help with a couple of questions I have. 

Reports that are using SQL as data source are refreshing perfectly fine but I have troubles with other data sources. 

When trying to schedule a refresh for a report using sharepoint I get this error message:"Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials. To start the refresh again, go to this dataset's settings page and enter credentials for all data sources. Then reactivate scheduled refresh."

I go to the dataset settings to enter credentials and add the gateway but I then get this error: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster."

I am using sharepoint for many reports so this issue is blocking the refresh of all of them. 

Another report is using excel as the main data source. I believe excel can't be added to an on premises gateway. Is that right? 

I get the same credentials error message. When I go to the dataset settings:

EmmanuelleD_0-1625061867201.png

And when I edit credentials for the excel files:

EmmanuelleD_1-1625061929527.png

I know I could get around these issues by refreshing through desktop and republishing but I was hoping that we could automate as much as possible.

In a few weeks I will be off work for several months, not sure if this could have an impact on the scheduled refreshes? Or on refreshes through the personal gateway (if there's any)? What about when my password expires? 

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
EmmanuelleD
Frequent Visitor

The reason for error in sharepoint was simlpy that the user didn't have access to the sharepoint site. 

I tried the full path for excel but it didn't solve the problem. We'll be refreshing the report manually if we can't find a way around this. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
EmmanuelleD
Frequent Visitor

The reason for error in sharepoint was simlpy that the user didn't have access to the sharepoint site. 

I tried the full path for excel but it didn't solve the problem. We'll be refreshing the report manually if we can't find a way around this. 

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @EmmanuelleD ,

I am thinking that the issue is that you are using a "shared network folder" from your PC and not a link to the actual file.  If the share on your PC is "S" drive, the gateway has no understanding of that.  You need to use the format of \\server\folder\file rather than your local path.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi! 

How can I change that? When I select edit credentials the file path is greyed out and can't be changed. 

Hi @EmmanuelleD ,

The person that setup the Gateway wil lbe able to modify it and/or give you the permissions to modify it.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks, I'll check with them. 

Have you got any idea why I get the error "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster." when trying to connect to sharepoint? 

HI @EmmanuelleD ,

When you get the other issue with Microsoft, then you can check on this as well.  This could be directly related to the initial issue....or, of course, totally not related  🙂

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors