Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wilhelm7870
Frequent Visitor

How to create source data, e.g. a 'master calendar'?

Is it possible to 'create' a data source using 'query'? I'm trying to create a 'master calendar' that simply needs to contain one column with dates going back, say 3 months, and forward, say 6 months.  The idea is to use this to make consistent charts against complete timelines and not only for the dates that appear in my data source.  (Or alternatively, is there a way to 'fill' any gaps in data from source?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@amien is your fact table in SQL as well? Or does it come from an independent source?

Just taking a quick look at this again, if everything is in SQL, you can make the code that populates the date dimension tables a procedure and pass in the min/max from the fact table +/- additional months (easy enough to add to the dates you return from the fact table.

Would look something like

Sproc1 - SSCentral script changed to procedure with input parameters for the dates.

Sproc2 -

1) Select start and end date from the fact table 

2) Execute the date dimension procedure with the values from the fact table

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Wilhelm,

Sounds like you want a date dimension table...

You can create one in multiple ways, this link contains a solution to create a date dimension table in Power Query and references other solutions by other authors as well.

I'm assuming "query" means power query, but if you want a solution in SQL, this builds the table with input parameters. I've used this one alot. SQL Date Dimension

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer, this works well in my Excel files. But what about implementing the same technique in Power BI Desktop? Since upgraded DAX specification has CALENDAR function I think it should be easy. But have no idea how to use it in PBID files neither with "old" Power Query nor newly CALENDAR function. Could someone drop a line about?

@erop

You could create a calender table by itself in Excel and just import that as a seperate table into your PBID model. Then create the relationships to your fact tables in PBID.
As for dynamically building it, I don't have a pre-built solution that I've tested out in PBI.

@Seth_C_Bauer Thanks for the link for sqlservercentral. I have one additional question. It will create a function and when you hit invoke, you can enter two dates (start and end). 

Question : how would it be possible to make the start and end date dynamic based on the loaded fact table? So if i could put the min date and max date in some kind of variable and use it in the just created calender function

@amien is your fact table in SQL as well? Or does it come from an independent source?

Just taking a quick look at this again, if everything is in SQL, you can make the code that populates the date dimension tables a procedure and pass in the min/max from the fact table +/- additional months (easy enough to add to the dates you return from the fact table.

Would look something like

Sproc1 - SSCentral script changed to procedure with input parameters for the dates.

Sproc2 -

1) Select start and end date from the fact table 

2) Execute the date dimension procedure with the values from the fact table

Hi 

I have a related query (I think)

Each time I create a new report I have to re-processes the Query for my Calendar Date Table.

Is there anyway to automate this process or to ensure each New report loads the edited Calendar Date Table automatically?

Currently I have a notepad pinned to desktop with the code to copy paste every time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors