Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Mnisar17
Frequent Visitor

How to connect Network Drives as a Data source using On Premise Data Gateway (Personal) in Power BI

Hello everyone,

I have some datasets lying in the network drives of the organization. I have created the dashboard from the datasets located in the network drives. I have downloaded the On Premise Data Gateway ( Personal Mode) and planning to refresh the datasets everyday on automation. But I get the error while refreshing that the datasets are not accessible. How can I connect my drives with the Dashboard on Power BI. I tried various option  but was not able to find some solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mnisar17 

With reference to the information provided by you, you are using a personal gateway.

The personal gateway can appear automatically in the gateway and cloud connections in the semantic model's setting, which requires that your service account is the same as the gateway's account, but the personal gateway is only available for import connection mode.

vxuxinyimsft_5-1702894118239.png

vxuxinyimsft_6-1702894150107.png

If you download the standard gateway, you can follow these steps:
First click on the gear button in the upper right corner and then select manage connection and gateway.

vxuxinyimsft_7-1702894182036.png

vxuxinyimsft_8-1702894206353.png

You can configure your gateway in the following settings.

vxuxinyimsft_9-1702894257287.png

Is this the result you expect?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yuliax

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mnisar17 

With reference to the information provided by you, you are using a personal gateway.

The personal gateway can appear automatically in the gateway and cloud connections in the semantic model's setting, which requires that your service account is the same as the gateway's account, but the personal gateway is only available for import connection mode.

vxuxinyimsft_5-1702894118239.png

vxuxinyimsft_6-1702894150107.png

If you download the standard gateway, you can follow these steps:
First click on the gear button in the upper right corner and then select manage connection and gateway.

vxuxinyimsft_7-1702894182036.png

vxuxinyimsft_8-1702894206353.png

You can configure your gateway in the following settings.

vxuxinyimsft_9-1702894257287.png

Is this the result you expect?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yuliax

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, 
I tried this way and hopefully it worked well. 

Mnisar17
Frequent Visitor

Hello, Thank you for the feedback, but when I click on manage cloud and gatewaty connection, I'm not able to see the Add new option for the On premise gateway. 
Some features which are shown on the Microsoft learn is not what I see on my interface. 

Mnisar17_0-1702576980257.png

Martin_D
Super User
Super User

Even though you have installed the gateway, you still need to configure the network folder as a data source for the gateway. You do this in the Power BI web app. See documentation: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources

Example see here. Instead of file, you can choose folder, then path has to be a folder instead of a file: https://radacad.com/the-power-bi-gateway-all-you-need-to-know#:~:text=like%20the%20screenshot%20belo....

Related problems have already been solved in these community threads:

BR

Martin

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors