Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dany-5036
Frequent Visitor

How do you total explicit measures from a Power BI dataset in a Paginated Report?

I'm creating a paginated report in Report Builder from a Power BI dataset that has been published to the Service.
There is an explicit measure defined in the Power BI dataset that I would like to use in the paginated report.
The problem I'm having is getting the explicit measure to aggregate on a totals level in the paginated report.

This is how it looks in Power BI and what I'm trying to achieve in the paginated report:
PBI Result and Goal.PNG

My measure is:

*PLANIMP_KEEPFILTERS_PlanIDCount = 
        CALCULATE(
            DISTINCTCOUNT('Workflow Events'[Plan ID])
            , KEEPFILTERS('Event Description'[Event Name] = "PLANIMP SALES REVIEW")
        )

I've tried several different ways to produce the correct results in Report Builder and I'm including 3 of them here:
Report Builder Examples.png

In the second example, you can see that I'm able to "force" the correct Total result by adding my own CountDistinct expression, but what I want is to use the explicit measure as defined in the PBI dataset?

I'm wondering if it's not possible at all to do what I'm trying to do because the data is "flattened" after the report builder dataset is built and so report builder can no longer process the measure on the flattened data. But, if that's the case, if you have to define each expression within report builder, then what's the purpose of being able to include explicit measures from the PBI dataset in a paginated report?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Dany-5036 

When using paginated reports from a Power BI dataset, you will have to create the measure in the Power BI dataset. As far as I know explicit measures do not work as expected.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thank you GilbertQ for looking at my topic.  You said, "you will have to create the measure in the Power BI dataset".  The explicit measure was created in the Power BI dataset.  But it appears that I am unable to use that explicit measure in a paginated report the same way that I would in a PBI report.  And that's my question... shouldn't I be able to use and total the PBI dataset explicit measure in a paginated report?

Is that what you meant when you said, "As far as I know explicit measures do not work as expected."?  Are you saying that explicit measures created in the PBI dataset can't be used in the same way in a paginated report?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors