Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

allora
Frequent Visitor

Getting data capacity error when setting up Incremental Refresh

Hi, I have a data set that was originally ~800 MB. After setting up parameters and incremental refresh, this dataset dropped to 25 MB. After i set up the incremental refresh in PBI desktop, I uploaded the dashboard to the pbi online service and that went okay. However, when I go to refresh the data so i can get the "archived/historical" data I get the following error:

• Data source errorResource Governing: This operation was canceled because there wasn’t enough memory to finish running it. Either increase the memory of the Premium capacity where this dataset is hosted or reduce the memory footprint of your dataset by doing things like limiting the amount of imported data. More details: consumed memory 5051 MB, memory limit 5051 MB, database size before command execution 68 MB.

I have looked through power bi communities that have been asked the same question but there doesn't seem to be a resolution. Can someone please explain to me what this error means and what I need to do to fix this? Is it saying that my power bi workspace does not have enough space? If so, that doesn't make sense to me. I was previously able to refresh my entire 800 MB dashboard in pbi desktop and publish it to the workspace without and data capacity issues. Why am I now having issues refreshing the incrementally set up dashboard in the pbi service? The only reason I want to set up an incremental refresh is to speed up the refresh time. Based on other similar posts I am seeing online, it does not seem like my dashboard is as large in comparison. 

Note: Have/using power bi pro license

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @allora 

What I think is happening is it is trying to refresh all the partitions for your incremental refreshing in one go and that is why it is consuming too much memeory.

If you are using Power BI Premium Per user or Premium, you can connect via the XMLA End point using SSMS or Tabular Editor I would refresh a few partitions at a time and see if that works?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @allora 

What I think is happening is it is trying to refresh all the partitions for your incremental refreshing in one go and that is why it is consuming too much memeory.

If you are using Power BI Premium Per user or Premium, you can connect via the XMLA End point using SSMS or Tabular Editor I would refresh a few partitions at a time and see if that works?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors