Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

TrevLc
Helper II
Helper II

Force Cloud connection to use gateway

Hi,

Can I force a cloud connection (SharePoint online) to use the gateway?

The reason I ask, is because when I publish a report to the service, I need to enter my credentials to connect to the service (highlighted in green) and I need the connection to use a service account, rather than relying on the person who published the report to enter their credentials.

What happens if that person leaves?

Below is the screen I am referring to, and highlighted in green is where I need to enter my credentials to allow a refresh.

Thanks

TrevLc_0-1715660402557.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TrevLc ,

I'm afraid this won't work, a single cloud data source can only connect to the data via a direct connection.

If you would like to suggest feature improvements, you may vote the idea and comment here to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Scott Chang

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-tianyich-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TrevLc ,

Do you have any additional needs for sharePoint to synchronize data without using a gateway? Maybe the following document can help you:Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Hope it helps!

Best regards,

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-tianyich-msft 

That document looks like it is only relevant if you have a SharePoint connection AND another on-prem datasource merged or appended in a single query.

We will have needs when SharePoint is the only source.

Thanks

Trev

Hi @TrevLc ,

I'm afraid this won't work, a single cloud data source can only connect to the data via a direct connection.

If you would like to suggest feature improvements, you may vote the idea and comment here to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Yes, you can have it use the gateway for SharePoint. BUT keep in mind that it still uses the datset owner's access to the gateway connection when it refreshes, so if the owner's account is disabled the refresh will still fail. An alternative would be to take over the dataset ownership with a service account (or use a service principal, but I've seen a number of people having issues with this with SharePoint specifically). You wouldn't need the gateway in that case, but it wouldn't hurt either. 

Thanks for the response.

Can you point me in the direction that shows me how? Is there any microsoft documentation on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors