Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ericthibeault

Duplicate dashboard and change report source (or best workflow)

Hi,

I'm new to Power BI desktop and Power BI app.

I want to use Power BI for my A/B tests reports/insights.  

I want to

1. Create a report for each test and
  2. Even better, a dashboard for each test

I managed to create a pbix file with all my reports and visualizations for one test in Power BI desktop.

I'm able to save one report as a new report for another test AND change the data source in order to connect to my raw data from the Excel file of this other test.  Everything is working fine so far.

What I want (if possible) is 

• Publish the report from one test, create a dashboard from this report in Power BI app (this is done)
  • For another test
    • Save my pbix file for another test and connect to another Excel data source (this is done)
    • Publish this report to Power BI app
    • Duplicate my first dashboard and use the newly published report as the source for it

Two questions:

1. Is this possible to do?
  2. Is this the best workflow for what I want to achieve?

Thanks a lot

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ericthibeault Rather than changing source of dashboard since you've already got second test report published to power bi service, just pin that to that existing dashboard. Now you have a dashboard with both test reports. You don't have to change source of a dashboard to new report to be able to see new report in existing dashboard.

Thanks for your answer Ankit,

You perfectly understood my actual workflow in Power BI Desktop.

Now, about the dashboard, what I want to do with it is those things:

1. Have a normalized dashboard (ideally for each test) for me to vizualize my stats at a glance (segments that outperform others...)
  2. Make a PDF archive of the dashboard (if this is the choosen solution) of each of my test in order to retreive a copy of all the data/visualizations later on if needed

Knowing that, am I better of sticking with Power BI Desktop, create only a tab with all my visualizations like if it would be a dashboard, upload that sheet to Power BI service in order to print it as PDF?

If you continue to think I should go with the dashboard, how can I make sure to only print the part of the dashboard for a specific test data?

Please, feel free to give me some other hints about how I could streamline my process, knowing that my main concerns are those stated in the above bullet points.

Thanks

Hi @ericthibeault,

You don’t need to duplicate the dashboard, and it is possible to use other method to create dashboard for each test.

Firstly, in your scenario, after you publish second test reports from Desktop to Service, you are able to pin the reports to new dashboard as follows.
1.PNG

Secondly, you can make the two dashboards as favorite dashboards in Power BI Service, favorite dashboards are typically those that you visit most often.
3.PNG

Thirdly,  you are able to print the two dashboards separately and make PDF archives of them. There is an example about how to print dashboard for your reference.
 2.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors