Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

abv46mac
Regular Visitor

Dax slow than M? Desktop refresh faster than service from dataflow source

Hi all,

I have a medium data model around 2gb with 4-5 mill of rows, because I have to merge queries in M and I thought that this type of merge made my model slower, it takes in desktop around 7 hours to update and 3 or so hours on service.

*all my sources are from dataflow

i made some changes:

-create two different queries, one with the data of this year and other with the historical

-when I refresh this table then I disable the update in editor

-the I use UNION in dax to append the tables, and use lookup value for the combine the values and get some data I need( this data before this change were merge in M)

with this change the data mode, refresh in 20 minutes, before around 7 hours, but in service it takes 3 or more hours.... but why??????

also my report are a quite slow right now.., so ¿is dax slower than M? Does the service slower with dax than M?

thanks!!! 

3 REPLIES 3
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abv46mac ,

Is this problem solved?

If it is solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Icey

Thanks, no the problem persist, I think Dax Union is less efficient dan Merge in M.. thats all. 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abv46mac ,

DAX and M address different situations.

M has its own “sweet spot,” which is data transformation and cleaning. DAX is completely unsuited for that sort of thing.

DAX uses functions to work on data that is stored in tables. Some DAX functions are identical to Excel worksheet functions, but DAX has many more functions to summarize, slice and dice complex data scenarios.

In essence: First you use Power Query (M) to query data sources, clean and load data. Then you use DAX to analyze the data in Power Pivot. Finally, you build pivot tables (Excel) or data visualisations with Power BI.

For details, you can refer to this document: M or DAX? That is the Question!

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors