Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Database '38d1b9f6-8c51-4675-a4ac-bafe4914c8e4' exceeds the maximum size limit on disk.

I am getting the error " Database '38d1b9f6-8c51-4675-a4ac-bafe4914c8e4' exceeds the maximum size limit on disk. " when I try to refresh my dataset. My dataset is in import mode and is part of premium capacity.
can I know why I am getting this error and how to overcome this ..?

Thanks,

gurudev

6 REPLIES 6
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Anonymous 

PowerBI has a limit on the size of the data set that can be refreshed. Power BI Premium supports uploads of Power BI Desktop (.pbix) files that are up to 10 GB in size. Once uploaded, a dataset can be refreshed to up to 12 GB in size. 

Here is a document related to this, I would suggest you referring to it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is#large-datasets

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-easonf-msft , Thanks for the reply

What is the exact cause of the error ? is it because my dataset is exceeding the 12 GB limit or is it because the premium capacity is exceeding the 100TB limit ?
I am trying to view the size of my dataset using DAX studio but it is giving me the same error when I try to fetch the metrics of my dataset. So I am unable to confirm if my dataset is exceeding the limits or not. Could you please point out the exact cause for me ( dataset exceeding 12 GB or premium capacity exceeding 100 TB ) ?

Thankss
Gurudev

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can  try to connect to the XMLA endpoint in the service  which requires Premium license.

checking-dataset-size 

analysis-services-in-power-bi-premium   

Dataset connectivity with the XMLA endpoint 

You can aslo use the Power BI Premium Metrics app to manage the health and capacity of your Power BI Premium subscription. 

service-premium-metrics-app 

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-easonf-msft ,
I am getting the same error even if i try to check the datasize using SSMS.
I am not the capacity admin so I do not have the right permissions to check if there is issue with the premium capacity. But before contacting with the admins I want to make sure why the error is showing up.
So now I am not able to check the size using DAX or SSMS. It is showing the same error everywhere. Is there any other way to check it ?

Hi, @Anonymous 

Sorry, I haven't thought of any other way。

I would suggest you open a support ticket to get  free dedicated support from the Microsoft personally if you are a PowerBI Pro user.Engineers will look into the issue on your side.Usually they will have better suggestions.

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-easonf-msft ,

I just republished the whole dataset and I can confirm that my dataset size is not exceeding 9GB and it is also a part of premium capacity.But I am still getting the same error when I try to refresh the data and sometimes even if refresh is completed successfully it shows the same error while viewing the report and doesn't load anything.
Could you please tell me why this error might be showing up ?

Thanks,
Gurudev

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors