Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Kave
Regular Visitor

Data flow in Power BI Service

Hi,

How can I edit a data flow in Power BI Service, and automatically have the new edition in Power BI service?

I mean, have some changes in DataFlow in a workspace, then after refreshing, see those changes in the connected reports in the PBI service. I tried it, but the reports that use that Data Flow, don't show the changes.

But on PBI Desktop files (connected to the same Data Flow), I can see the changes after updating.

Do you have any idea?

Because I don't like to download the files from the cloud, update them on-premises, then upload them again (for each change).

Many thanks...

4 REPLIES 4
Kave
Regular Visitor

Thanks, @blopez11 

It's strange! I checked again all the refresh steps and connections among DataFlow, Dataset, Report, etc.

But nothing, no success! I can't get the updated report on the PBI service, unless I download it, open it in PBI Desktop, refresh, and upload it again into the BPI service again.
Do you have any idea, please? 

Here is the lineage view:

Kave_0-1646903514418.png

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The refresh completion times of the dataflows and the dataset seem to be really close to each other (within a minute of each other)

Can you stagger the start time of the refresh for the dataset in the service to be at least 10-15 minutes after the dataflow refreshes are expected to complete?....This way you can rule out any timing issues...Or just try a manual refresh of the dataset in the service much later than when the dataflow refreshes completed

Oh, no...
I found something strange!
The report in the cloud just shows the changes in the column (transforming); NOT added column! And for having all the changes, I've to refresh it in the Desktop version. 
Does it make sense?

Note that the source of the DataFlow is an Excel file in the cloud (Azure). And I'd like to add a column in the DataFlow, not in Excel. Anyway, if it doesn't work, I should change the Excel.

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You will need to refresh the dataset for the reports in the service that use the dataflow

You can set them up with a scheduled refresh or you can do it on demand in the service as well

If your reports only use data from the dataflows then is should be easy to setup

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors