Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SRobbo1990
Frequent Visitor

Data different between Service and Desktop after scheduled refresh

Hi all,

I currently have a report that gives me a list of clients that are abroad and where, down to the day. I have had to make a couple of minor tweaks and during testing it has come to my attention that the 'numbers' don't add up. 

Through a process of elimination I've worked out that after a scheduled refresh (which happens 3 times a day in our test enivronment) the report throws back odd numbers compared to both our live version and the test version in desktop. Nothing has changed between the desktop and service versions and I refreshed them within 4 minutes of each other on the last test

Live Version;

SRobbo1990_0-1709206485235.png

Test Refreshed Desktop Version;

SRobbo1990_1-1709206536296.png

Test Refreshed Service Version;

SRobbo1990_2-1709206580915.png

I have tried changing date formats, the regional settings in desktop, even tested the queries in DAX studio to make sure they are all running the same and cannot get to the bottom of why after a refresh within the service i'm getting different numbers.

Any ideas welcome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SRobbo1990
Frequent Visitor

For anyone that wants to know I solved the issue. 

By only loading one record I found that one client should be away 28/02/2024 - 04/03.2024. In Desktop (set to UK) this worked aboslutely fine. However after being refreshed in the service (I'm assuming geo located to the US) the March dates would flip round and so the record would show in Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr due to the dates flipping round. In the Query window within PowerBI Desktop I changed all the date types using 'Change Type with Locale' and defaulted to the UK. Bobs your uncle

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SRobbo1990
Frequent Visitor

For anyone that wants to know I solved the issue. 

By only loading one record I found that one client should be away 28/02/2024 - 04/03.2024. In Desktop (set to UK) this worked aboslutely fine. However after being refreshed in the service (I'm assuming geo located to the US) the March dates would flip round and so the record would show in Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr due to the dates flipping round. In the Query window within PowerBI Desktop I changed all the date types using 'Change Type with Locale' and defaulted to the UK. Bobs your uncle

v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SRobbo1990 

Make sure your gateway is online and successfully logged in. Sometimes, if the gateway is unable to sign in or there is an issue with the data source credentials, it can affect the refresh process. Check that data sources, such as SQL Server, are accessible and that Power BI can connect to them during scheduled refreshes.

Verify the report's semantic model settings. Sometimes, incorrect settings can cause discrepancies. Set the Keep data up-to-date slider to On to configure the refresh settings. The goal is to initiate a refresh within 15 minutes of the scheduled time period, but there may be a delay of up to one hour if the service can't allocate the required resources as quickly as possible. You can check the link:

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Reports with large datasets or complex calculations can require a lot of memory during refreshes. Memory pressure can cause the report to fail, or even cause the report server itself to crash.Check if the report is experiencing memory-related issues during the refresh process. You can check this link:

Troubleshoot scheduled refresh in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Review the refresh log to see if there were any errors or warnings during the scheduled refresh. Investigate any specific error messages to determine the root cause.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors