Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Source Credential Error when scheduling refresh

Hi

I am having a similar issue when updating a report/dataset. 

The dataset is from from excel sheet  in Sharepoint.

I have published this report in power BI service

Everytime I am trying to update the report I receive the following error message 

Activity ID:c204d515-06ae-445d-b677-b1f3bc6d9dd1
Request ID:c78ef477-83ce-f6ec-2d02-f0d5404ab600
Status code:400
Time:Fri May 15 2020 13:23:46 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Service version:13.0.13172.204
Client version:2004.4.00903-train
Cluster URI:https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the Web source are invalid. 

I am using "Basic" for authentication method. and the privacy setting is set to organization. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got  this to work properly now. I had to use the web resource for "OAuth2" to appear.

Thanks

Manny

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
alpeshpatel

Similar issue , need help

I have created a report using excel doc as web source from team site which works fine. When I published the report and try to refresh dataset from workspace I get Error "Processing errorThe credentials provided for the Web source are invalid. (Source at" . So I tried providing data source credential for dataset using OAuth2 authentication with Oragnizational privacy level , gives me similar error "Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the Web source are invalid. (Source at".

sbrid9225

Hi All,

I am facing similar issue while deploying cube as dataset from vs to pbi site. I'm using windows authenctication and my datasource is sqlserver 2017. I have like 10 datasets to be deployed out of which 8 are success, but remaining 2 seem to throw "Refresh can't be scheduled because the data set doesn't contain any data model connections, or is a worksheet or linked table. To schedule refresh, the data must be loaded into the data model."   I have tried updating permission settings, updating processing type of the datasets but still no luck. If I deploy 4 datasets on one day, I can't deploy the rest of them on the same day. However, If i try the following day, it works. I have tried restarting my servers but that too doesn't do the trick. My datasets deployments that point to QA servers seem to work, but ones on staging servers give me above mentioned error. I have compared permissions and settings of QA and Staging and they are exactly the same. 

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you

@refresh

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

For refresh to work properly when connecting to a SharePoint Online data source using AAD OAuth, you have to use the same account that you use to sign in to the Power BI service.

For further information, you may refer the following document.

Refresh a dataset stored on OneDrive or SharePoint Online 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

There was a known issue is going on with sharepoint, Please check once.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

If it is not related to this, Please try to authenticate with the "OAuth2" and try to re-pro the issue.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

BR

venal.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I've never seen Basic authentication be successful against SharePoint, it is generally OAuth if SharePoint Online or possibly Windows if on-premises.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg.

Actually i don't see an option for OAuth. The only ooptions for authentication method I see are : Anonymous, Windows and Basic. 

Am I looking at something wrong? 

Thanks

Manny

Which connector are you using?

What version of SharePoint are you using:

• SharePoint Online
  • SharePoint 2019
  • SharePoint 2016
  • SharePoint 2013
  • SharePoint 2010
  • SharePoint 2007

?

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using Web version of sharepoint....so Sharepoint Online.

I am not sure what connector are you referring to....I am not using any connector as far as i know.

My apologies for these questions. Its the first time I am trying to deal with the refreshing. 

Thanks

Manny

Sounds like you are using the wrong connector. When you "Get Data" in your Power BI Desktop, you are using a connector. And in your case, you should be choosing SharePoint Online List versus something list SharePoint List or SharePoint Folder I believe

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe i have used sharepoint folder earlier. 

I will give it shot with Sharepoint Online and see how it goes. I will update you what I find out. 

Thanks again for the help.

Manny

Sounds good, you will need to use "something" that supports OAuth or basically Office 365 authentication for SharePoint online.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got  this to work properly now. I had to use the web resource for "OAuth2" to appear.

Thanks

Manny

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having the same problem.  14 months later.   There must be a solution.  

Where is OAuth in the connector settings in power bi service?  

I'm reading I need that to solve my problem which is:   Successfully connecting power bi desktop to an excel sheet on OneDrive/SharePoint but, after publishing to the service, the service generates errors when attempting to connect.    I'm using the same credentials on desktop (which works) and pbi service (which doesn't)

Anyone?

"Scheduled refresh is disabled because at least one data source is missing credentials"

Hi, how di you get OAUTH option in Power BI scheduled settings, I only see the Basic and Anonymous, can you help me how can get Oauth option.

I am also getting same error.

The credentials provided for the Web source are invalid. (Source at https://zebra.sharepoint.com

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

I looked into the Sharepoint Online....but it looks like I have to make a list first on sharepoint that i can talk to using power BI. 

Is there any way I can use my spreadsheet saved under documents in sharepoint as a source? and link to that using power bi?

Let me know if i am making any sense.

Thanks

Manny

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors